[kj] Bechdel/KJ similarities

MARK SAXTON ranjeef at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 4 13:35:52 EST 2005

tar for that

nicholas fitzpatrick <gasw30 at hotmail.com> wrote: For anyone interested in KJ-sounding keyborads.

By GREG PRATO, Billboard.com

With industrial rock outfit Fear Factory taking time off, singer Burton C.
Bell has turned his attention to a new project, Ascension Of The Watchers.
On record, the group consists of only Bell and ex-Prong/Killing Joke
keyboardist John Bechdel, each of which go the multi-instrumental route on
their forthcoming debut EP, "Iconoclast."

But according to Bell, AOTW is nothing like Fear Factory stylistically. "The
only similarity is that I'm singing," he tells Billboard.com. "It has melody
to it -- Fear Factory has melody, but it's the music that I've written with
John. So it's not like metal, it's not percussive; it's more organic,
landscape-y texture kind of feeling. It's totally like a hypnotic kind of
thing."

With each of the five songs on the EP going over the six-minute mark, Bell
describes the music as reminiscent of Pink Floyd, the Cure and, not
surprisingly, Killing Joke.

The group's name came from a book that Bell was reading shortly after
relocating from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania. "I was getting into 'The Book
of Enoch,' and I was just reading it a lot," he says. "The Watchers were the
angels that basically descended from heaven, and took the forms of people --
they took human wives, and they taught the humans the way of the world.
Basically jaded the humans from God, so the Watchers were banished from
heaven indefinitely. That's what this is -- I felt this was my spiritual
journey."

"Iconoclast" will first be issued as a vinyl-only release later this month
via AOTW's official Web site, before released on CD with a bonus video of
the track "On the River."

The group's first live performance is set for Sunday (Feb. 6) at New York's
CBGB club. Also on the bill is False Icons (Bechdel's other band) and Still
Life Decay (of which two members will guest during AOTW's set, with Bell
returning the favor for two songs of their set).

Bell admits feeling some butterflies for AOTW's debut show. "I'm nervous as
hell," he says. "It'll be the first time being onstage playing guitar while
singing. I've been rehearsing every day."