[kj] ot: Gavin Friday

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 11:13:14 EST 2005

I'd say EACH MAN... remains Gavin's finest. There were some amazing
moments on SHAG TOBACCO (I think "Caruso" fuckin' rocks), but it all
sounds a bit `94 in retrospect (ooh..."trip hop," maaaan!). ADAM'n'EVE
has some lovely moments on it too ("Wind & Rain," "Where in the World,"
"Eden"), but is also cursed with a bit of cheezy Europop (notably "I
Want to Live"). EACH MAN KILLS THE THING HE LOVES still sounds
absolutely timeless to me.

It's been mentioned already, but there are a clutch of new Virgin
Prunes re-issues out. I picked up the rarities compilation, OVER THE
RAINBOW, which is patchy, but has some great tracks on it. I'd pick up
IF I DIE, I DIE... again (easily their finest hour -- produced by Colin
Newman of Wire), but I've already bought the fucker twice -- both the
Rough Trade edition and the New Rose edition. Supposedly, this new
version has been sonically "cooked" and sounds like a whole new
record,......but really now.....do I *NEED* three copies of this album?
Come now.

Anyway, Gavin Friday live is always a great experience, rife with lots
of histrionics and often unintentional hilarity. On top of that, he's
an unfailingly nice gent, even if he is to blame for inspiring
nine-tenths of Bono's 90's excessive shenanigans.

Alex in NYC

On Friday, February 4, 2005, at 07:12 AM, MARK SAXTON wrote:

> re  : Gavin Friday  - Angel  - ex Virgin Prunes man - the whole album
> is good " Shag Tobacco" but the previous one "Adam "n" Eve"  is his
> best solo album slightly pipping "EMKTTHL" methinks.
>
> Rob <rob at westwoodassociates.co.uk> wrote:
>

> 1. Name: Rob Horan
>
> 2. Age: 45
>
> 3.Gender: M
>
> 4.Location: W12
>
> 5.Favorite Book: jude the obscure
>
> 6.Favorite Food: vegemite
> 7.Nasty Habit: social tabbing
>
> 8.Favorite Movie: City of God
> 9.Favorite Arcade Game: Space Invaders
> 10.Best Killing Joke Album: Extremities
> 11.Greatest Killing Joke Song Ever: tomorrows world
> 12.Worst Killing Joke Song Ever: america
> 13. 5 Underrated/Underappreciated KJ Songs:
> a. chapter 111
> b. slipstream
> c. good samaritan
> d. madness
> e. chessboards
> 14.A KJ Song Lyric: just for one split second I saw the great work of
> man as
> he turned the forests into deserts of sand
> 15.Best KJ Remix: I need some help here, where do you geddem?
> 16.5 Songs/Bands Every Gatherer Needs To Hear:
> a. fairies wear boots - sabbath
> b. tellin stories - charlatans
> c. flower to hide - ca therine wheel
> d. mad mad moon - genesis
> e. at last I am free - robert wyatt
> 17.5 Songs Currently On Heavy Rotation In Your Stereo:
>
> a. lucky - radiohead
> b. nightingale - roxy music
> c. circle of hands (live) - uriah heep
> d. feedback song - flying saucer attack