[kj] gathering@misera.net

fatpotanga fatpotanga at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:25:00 EST 2005

Hear hear!

I come from a beautiful village called Lymm that has been decimated over the
last 5 years by excessive property development.
Practically every scrap of field has been turned into sprawling Œluxury¹
estates.
£750K Œdetached¹ houses built so closely together you can stand between and
touch them both.
I saw on the news recently that it is now the most desirable place to live
in the UK ­ crazy.

We were forced out after 2 years of looking for a new house due to rising
prices.
We were doubling, or even tripling our mortgage for a smaller house!
Our mid terraced ex council house now costs more than we paid for the 5 bed
detached we¹re in. (the flipside of selling in an up and coming area ­ you
make a bit when you sell)
As a result, most of the people I grew up with are being pushed out by the
ŒLexus & Range Rover¹ brigade.
There is no affordable housing and the majority of properties are owned by
Southern investors.
Goodbye to the village.

A mate of mines mother has a bit of land with a lovely old cottage on.
She was offered £2M for the lot so they could raze her house and build yet
another faceless luxury estate.
She refused, but you can understand why so many people haven't.

Every time I return to see my family ŒGoodbye to the village¹ comes to mind
Each time I find it more poignant

It makes me sad.