[kj] re: I want to be a suicide bomber

Papa Lazarou circuit_bender at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 11:56:43 EST 2005

"Islamofascism" is a controversial term used by some commentators to refer to Islamist movements perceived to have neofascist or totalitarian characteristics, particularly groups like Al-Qaeda, the Taliban, The Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, and Hezbollah.
  While several modern political and militant organizations describe themselves as "Islamist", none refer to themselves as "fascist." Some critics of these groups claim that there are important parallels between the ideologies and tactics of certain modern Islamic movements and the ideologies and tactics of conventional fascists or neo-fascists.
  This, however, is disputed by some critics who view the term as an historically inaccurate metaphor. Other critics view it as an oxymoron and a rhetorical device or propaganda. Some say it is hate speech, because, they argue, it is a desecration that is profoundly insulting to Muslims.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamofascism

  I will go with the latter of this definition. The term only produces negativity. Could the same not have been said about Catholicism, in the past 100 years?
  I believe the world to be in a state of global fascism in general, and terminology like this only serves to make you 'take a side'.

  Happy Holidays!

Mark Kolmar <mkolmar at gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think for a moment Jaz advocated violence against civilian
bystanders or Islamofascism in general. But there is a narrow point
one can argue, which is that perhaps parts of this "to the death"
mentality could be applied constructively in the West. That is very
much despite the fact it is often applied destructively and
nonsensically in the Middle East.

--Mark