[kj] Hamburger Lady????

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 21:38:21 EDT 2005

See now, before the SBE gigs, this is exactly the type of post that would've gotten on my nerves, but having met the estimable Peter West, I know he's just being silly (in the head) as is his inimitable forte.

That said, to explain the thought process behind the endeavors -- artistic or otherwise -- of Throbbing Gristle is something that takes veritable tomes to do (and hats off to Simon Ford for doing it, ala "Wreckers of Civilization: the story of Coum Transmissions & Throbbing Gristle"....not beach reading by any stretch). They were neither manic depressives nor squeaky clean rich kids, and they *ASSUREDLY* did not have shit for brains.  As far as dressing weird, only Genesis P-Orridge took up that particular baton (and fucking ran with it). By and large, TG looked like garden variety citizens, but made some of the most viscerally harrowing and gorgeously ugly music to ever grace audiotape. In terms of subject matter, TG concentrated on the very things that plague the human psyche, making their art more provocative than simple three chord punk rock In their own words: Throbbing Gristle delivered "entertainment through pain" and engaged in "nothing short of a total war on contemporary perceptions". To write them off -- let alone to call them shoegazers (if you heard even a nanosecond of their output, you'd realize this is an inaccurate description) -- is to make yourself look wildly and woefully misinformed.

Alex in NYC