[kj] Scariest record & Namanax vs Cindytalk

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 14 13:09:24 EDT 2005

What I wrote about IT'LL END IN TEARS on ILM:

I'm a big fan of all three TMC albums, but this one especially
distinguishes itself. I first heard Liz Fraser's ethereal rendition of
"Song to the Siren" as the intro tape (!!!) to a mid-80's arena stop by
Robert Plant (who, apparently, is a big fan of TMC and the Cocteaus).
Heard the album a second time a few months later in a dingey record
shack in the far flung exapnse of Newark, Ohio (Threshhold Audio,
pedants!) and was singularly intrigued...wondering how this stirring,
misty album found its way to the heartland of America (where Robert
Palmer and Journey seemed to exclusively rule). I picked it up (along
with a comparitively incongruous copy of Throb Throb by Naked Raygun)
and have never been the same since.

Steeped in sepia-toned pixie dust, tracks drift seemlessly in and out
of the speakers (with one ham-fisted exception,...see below) in the
closest approximation of a "dream state" as has been captured in a
studio. From Liz Fraser's and Lisa Gerrard's haunting vocals (to say
nothiner of Cindytalk's [?!?!] Gordon Sharp) through subtle strings,
guitars and hammered dulcimers that cut through the mist, its an audio
wandering across a foggy, North Scottish beach in the dense, humid
thickness of summer. Listening to the lovingly woven progression from
"Waves Become Wings" into "Barramundi" (an exotic fish, apparently) and
gradually into "Dreams Made Flesh" is to verily puncture the higher
reaches of the velveteen skies and caress the very undercarriage of
heaven.....or something.

It all plummets like a once-majestic, deflating, blue heron-shaped
dirigible, however, upon the clumsy opening chords of "Not Me," wherein
luckless Modern English's Robbie Grey (flanked by some Cocteaus and one
Xmal Deutschlander) give it some whiney guitar pop that sticks out of
the proceedings like an unsolicited erection during an otherwise
beautific wedding celebration.

This one bit of ill-timed flotsam notwithstanding, It'll End in Tears
remains for me one of the most stirring collections of music to be
found. Is it precious and histrionic? But of course. Does it border
dangerously on the forbidding frontiers of "New Age" music? Admittedly,
yes. But it's still a rich, gorgeous piece of work.

Alex in NYC