[kj] Scariest record & Namanax vs Cindytalk

Bo Krogsgaard t23 at mother.brap.dk
Thu Apr 14 12:59:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Alexander Smith wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, "Song to the Siren" was simply Liz Fraser and Robin
> Guthrie. I think Gordon Sharp sang "Fond Affections," though (and lots on the
> second TMC record).

Right you are. He sang Kangaroo, Fond Affection and A Single Wish on the
first album. Not a single track from Filigree And Shadow though, no.

> IT'll END IN TEARS is a gem of a record (apart from "Not Me," the sole
> clunker) that you should all rush out and purchase or steal.

This is where we stop to agree. Not Me is bloody amazing, although it
doesn't fit that album at all. X Mal Deutschland and Modern English
members covering Colin Newman just about sums up what i loved about 4AD in
the 80s.

As for Cindytalk, Camouflage Heart is a fucking amazing album indeed,
really spooky at times, really haunting, but all too goth for me.

Namanax - Monstrous and SPK - Leichenschrei would probably be my top
"scary" picks, and also, if you have the vinyl copy of Coil - Hellraiser,
try playing it at 33RPM. I did that the first four years i had it :>

Namanax's track Journey To The Battle Of Varanax gives me fucking chills
every time i hear it, it's simply fanfuckingtastic. 32 minutes of pure
horror soundscape!