[kj] Jaz would appreciate this article

Juliet Pleming pricepleming at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 04:36:02 EDT 2005

My 16 year old went to social services about 6 months ago and told them
that I had thrown him out. This was loosely based on reality. He had
spent some time goading me until we argued and I said words to the
effect of 'If you want to live here you can't behave like and talk to me
like that' which in his mind was the evidence that he needed. A friend
of his in London had recently tried this trick and been given a flat.
Well the social services here just offered him places in hostels which
had curfews etc. They wouldn't give him a flat as he is not 18 yet.
That's not what he wanted, but that is their policy here. He spent a few
nights on friends floors, and then moved in with his dad. That lasted
all of about 1 1/2 weeks. His father, who is a total w######r (and I
don't give out abuse lightly) threw him out for something really
pathetic. Anyway by that time he realised he hasn't got it so bad here.
So, mixed blessings, he returned - the prodigal son. He is gradually
becoming more reasonable, and I have quite a good relationship with him,
but mostly I do let him get on with it, and lead his own life. He tells
me a lot, and he knows my views. When he was 12 he went right off the
rails, and I nearly died worrying about him and chasing after him. Our
relationship is much better now. Especially as I no longer have his
father f##king up our lives. It's hard to bring children up on your own
with no support but I wish I'd realised years ago how much easier it
would be than the situation I was in.

Juliet