[kj] OT - Furs

Matthew Burke marsboy1 at msn.com
Tue Sep 28 16:17:50 EDT 2004

I saw them a handful of times "back when".  At the height of Midnight to
Midnight fame at Radio City Music Hall, which was a bit of a triumph for the
freaks, and I remember being impressed with Richard Butler's ability to
convincingly pull off a Hall size show with ease.  Total flamboyance and
showmanship.  I believe they opened with India, and I could have left right
there.

A year or two later I saw them at a college show on Long Island and it was
terrible.  I believe it was at the start of their "troubles" and for some
reason they managed to sell only half the auditorium.  Their displeasure was
very evident as they sped through songs, cut the show at about 45 min. and
R.B. sang most of the show with his back to the crowd, never uttering a word
between numbers.

Would love to see them again if they're on the ball.  I lost touch with Love
Spit Love, which, as I understand it was just the Furs with a name change
for legal reasons.

Welcome to VH1 week at the Gathering.