[kj] (OT) SHOCK!!

Dave Axford daxford at rogers.com
Sun Sep 5 14:40:41 EDT 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: GregSlawson at aol.com
  To: gathering at misera.net
  Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 2:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [kj] (OT) SHOCK!!

  I agree w/some points--I like the term "religionists", but I still think Bin Laden mainly represents a group of capitalists, despite all the religious rhetoric, etc.

  Okay, I'll bite. Exactly what group of "capitalists" does Bin Laden represent?

   And by  the way, China clearly stopped being communist before the 80s--really by about 1970 (remember when they invitied Nixon?).

  You believe that by inviting Nixon, that China was secretly on the road to capitalism? I would have thought that it was more of a daring ploy on Nixon's part to recognize communist China as a legitimate country and thereby, put a wedge between the Soviet/ Chinese communist alliance... Far easier for the U.S. to deal with China one on one and the USSR one on one, rather than to deal with them both at the same time.

   And I think you counld transfer communism to many small scales--each factory, block, school, etc. would have its own group running things. But the main point is abuot incentives to work. Even under capitalism, people are not mainly motivated by money, although it is a major one, and is of course necessary. People are motivated by many things that matter besides money--doing art or music (ever hear of this group Killing Joke?), doing things for their faimilies, helping out people in trouble, etc. And to use a historical example, the closer the Soviet Union was to communism (early 20s for example), the MORE people were motivated and the less important money was.

  Ahh! The good old days of Stalinism. How we miss those! Anyone up for a good pogrom?

  In fact, there was a short period of a couple of years or so, where the civil war was so bad that there was no $ to pay people--it was in this period that people were so motivated that many volunteered to work for free, and began to industrialize their nation, leading to its superpower (and later capitalist) status that led to the Cold War.
  You are a die hard aren't you?

  Dave