[kj] The Fanatic

Paul Rangecroft killing_j0ke at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:05:28 EDT 2004

well i dunno. maybe they didn't rate it but i do. i'd have put it on - it's
much better than that 'age of greed' rubbish. didn't geordie once say he
adapted the riff from 'wintergardens'?

yeah, it does sound like that arabian purcussion track. he obviously likes
those semitone variation riffs. 'mathematics of chaos' is another one.

>rob's arse sed...

>Are you cock!

>The Fanatic didn't get on Extremities cos it's pretty lame in comparison.
>The tempo and performance is pedestrian. Same goes for the original version
>of solitude. Maybe a bit more work might have kicked theminto shape but I
>would wager that they wrer writtena s a reaction to OTG but then
>Geordie/Jaz said "We can do better".

--- "Paul Rangecroft" <killing_j0ke at hotmail.com> wrote:

maybe i am thick, as i just don't hear it. in what sense is the structure
more OTG? which songs on OTG are you thinking of in particular? which parts
of these songs have a similar structure? it has a very simple structure,
basic geordie spine-tingler riff (can't say that about anything on OTG,
maybe 'obsession' at a push), chorus, middle eight. it's surely more like a
typical NIGHT TIME track in that sense. that early version of 'solitude',
i'd say that was more of a precursor. quite a bit of the EXTREMITIES stuff
was written back in '88, possibly even before then. many of the songs that
ended up on the album were played live repeatedly through '89, before the
album was released, along with 'the fanatic'. it would have slotted in very
neatly on ED&VRE but would have stuck out like a sore thumb on OTG. if there
is a bridge between the two albums then it's track 11 on the latter - the
segue from the haunting coleman composition 'kaliyuga' into defiant
"full-stop followed by an exclamation mark" anthem 'struggle'.

todd, back me up, man! am i right or am i right?