[kj] Rap, punk, & stuff

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Wed Oct 20 03:20:42 EDT 2004

Saw them on their very first tour. They were a punk band spawned by the
punk scene but the discussion seems to be assuming that punk was about
spitting and three chords and much more.

When Lydon was pictured with a Dr Alimantado badge we all went "fecks
sake? Whos that? Lets get a piece of it". At that point we changed as
our influences grew. Magic mushrooms and The slits or the raincoats
filled the room. A couple of blues and the Clash, 999, Vibrators, uk
subs etc had us going. Home grown and two cultures clashed.

I suppose looking back we demanded more than what the bands like the
ramones and their genre were offering and out of it you saw the likes of
crass to joy division to throbbing gristle, and later the killing joke
cum. In that sense the punk scene was already dead (depending if you can
agree on what punk was) but a good deal of people revelled in what was
coming out of the independents rather than be impressed with bands on
major labels.

So yes, imho, kj cannot be called a punk band but were spawned and
supported by those from that scene. I was too busy losing big chunks of
my memory to analyse it then, simply riding the wave. lol

iPat