[kj] OT: Pirating of new U2 release

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 09:22:38 EST 2004

In all fairness, I've *NEVER* detected an Irish accent (outside of the
live chatter on UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY) on any U2 recordings.

Moreover, they *ARE* Irish, Peter. Perhaps they can't help it?

In terms of flagrant accent-affecting, I'd sooner aim my crossbow at
Bowie and...dare I suggest it...our Jaz, both of whom turn it on and
off as the need presents itself

Regarding playing Killing Joke for your grandmother, NIGHTTIME was
certainly more welcomed by the rest of my family in my adolescent home
than, say, DAMAGED by Black Flag, METAL BOX by PiL  and/or AT WAR WITH
SATAN by Venom (or any of the other willfully dissonant crap I was
listening to at the time). Part of Killing Joke's appeal was the
accomplished, elegiac quality to their music....even at their most
ferocious.

Side note: while feeding my seven month old daughter just now, the
radio station (Q104) played "Point of No Return" by Kansas, the
oft-Gathering-discussed "Come as You Are" by Nirvana, "Breakfast in
America" by Supertramp and "Captain Jack" by fucking Billy Joel in
succession. It's amazing how Nirvana -- once considered a breath of
fresh air to some -- have been so yawnsomely subsumed by somnambulistic
mainstream classic rock radio. Kurt must be rolling in his urn.

Alex in NYC