[kj] OT: Pirating of new U2 release

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 08:54:54 EST 2004

I think U2 stopped being "relevant" (whatever that means) after ACHTUNG
BABY (an at-the-time refreshing image overhaul they've still not
recovered from). Apart from the odd track here and there, it strikes me
that they've long since stopped making music that "mattered". That
said, I've always liked them despite their elephantine pretension
(although since when is humility a staple of great music? I ask you --
are Killing Joke humble? No, and nor should they be!) As the kids here
in the States say, U2 have "jumped the shark", and are now as old, out
of it and fuddy-duddy as Emerson Lake & Palmer were in 1977.

REM, as far as I'm concerned, probably should have called it quits
after CHRONIC TOWN, but to continue since Billy Berry's departure earns
them a death warrant, I'd say. And Michael Stipe is nine-times as much
of a jackass as Bono can  be.

Alex in NYC