[kj] It's a thin line..........

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 23:18:52 EST 2004

Ok, here's the thing with the Darkness. Yes, i realize
that it's all a big joke and me sitting around hating
them and being all grumpy about it means that they
ultimately win in the end. That's fine. I'm in no way
averse to humourous bands or even out-and-out "joke"
bands (however you want to define those boundries).
But The Darkness....i mean, laughing at their shit
would be like thinking all these emo fucks who wear
bullet belts and Iron Maiden t-shirts are really
clever. Just, like, totally lowbrow, milquetoast
humour. It's funny for stupid people. If you don't
think they're dead in the water now, well, give it a
year. Of course they've sold more albums than KJ, but
in 2 or 3 years time, no one will care to remember
them, whereas Killing Joke have had a loyal cult for
20 years now and will for a long time coming. This is
not news to you, Peter. I know you're just trying to
get a rise out of everyone, and it's a pretty funny
attempt.

Anyways, I'll take my humour from the likes of Neil
Hamburger, Faxed Head, Zip Code Rapists, Grand Buffet,
hell, even early Ween. And Spinal Tap? Well, it's more
about the personalities than the actual music. Hell
Hole is a great song, but made even greater because of
stuff like "So what? What's wrong with being sexy?"
and the like. If it was just 3 boring, personalityless
guys behind the music (which, again, is exactly what
the Darkness are), then who would care?

As far as seeing any similarities between them and KJ?
Well.....no, i honestly don't. Except for your last
point about them trying to live up to the image they
create, which is fucking hilarious. Guess i can't
argue with that. Anyways, again, i realize you're just
trying to start shit, but it's fun to rant about stuff
that sucks, so thanks.

Leigh

--- "peter.west410" <peter.west410 at ntlworld.com>