[kj] Killing Joke in 2005?

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 3 12:53:11 EST 2004

--- Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:
> The results of this election are probably JUST
ENOUGH REASON for >Jaz to *NEVER TOUR* in the US
again.

I cannot let myself think that, because the one, sole,
needle-in-the-dilusional-Bushloving-Great-Plains-of-hay
silver lining I can see (hope?...plead?) in a Bush win
is that his inevitable actions will again enrage Jaz
enough to make Jaz put real energy into a new album
again.

Separately, as for "at least it wasn't a landslide"
possibly restraining Bush from more war and other
stupidity...that can't be further from the reality of
the man. This man creates his own reality and his own
mandates. He believes God is on his side and that's
all the justification he needs for his every whim. He
campaigned in 2000 on a slightly moderate ground, then
took his non-election as a mandate to wreak havoc on
our country (or our loose assembly of cities
sandwiched between comatose country sheep, or whatever
this place now is). Incredibly and most sickening,
what likely increased his support since 2000 was his
foul manipulation of 9/11 and its aftermath. Now,
without even re-election to worry about, he's going to
completely turn what's left of this place into a
corporate-run wasteland of ideological fear and hate
(I know you can argue it's already there, but this
surely seals the deal beyond the hope for any return).
Sorry for rambling...this is just a crushing,
depressing day. We've just been sentenced. I've just
lost my last tenuous thread of hope for this place.

The London Joke gigs in February suddenly look
plausible, although now I'd be bringing my wife and
all my belongings...