[kj] OT: SXSW!

Amy Moseley Rupp gathering@misera.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:57:39 -0600 (CST)

> Yeah, but isnt it great. Austin pigs suck. I remember when I was in
> college it seemed like every week it changed weather you could have a
> beer on 6th or not. Ok, thats bad enough, but the bike patrol were shit
> sticks about it.

Yeah, I know..... I wish they'd just ignore it, like the cops are wont to
ignore the marijuana legalisation protesters that spark a doob on the
Capitol grounds.

> It isnt Austins community standard anymore. The entire association that
> caused all thsi shit is from Orange Co. that want Austin to be a hip
> suburb. Austin is, after all, little silicone valley, and you have
> Michael to thank (in big part) for that. Seems like it really began to
> change in about 1990 - 1994. Seems like 1994 was when it became really
> obvious, though. I started to see a lot of clubs go, and nothing
> replacing them. What happened to Ohms, Faces, Paradise, Sneakers,
> Earls, Babes, Hole in the Wall...is Joe's Generic bar, Maggie Maes' and
> Steamboat still open?

A lot of those people are now gone though, cos the tech boom went
bust and we all lost our jobs, including me.  Maggie Mae's closed
but reopened.  Joe's closed.  I *think* Steamboat is still open,
and I know Hole In The Wall is.  Before Ohms was Ohms, it was *my*
dance club, called Backstreet.  Ah, the memories of dancing to "I
Sit On Acid".....

Really, most of the people left here are the ones who don't want
to leave.  It's very different to what it was just a couple of
years ago.

> Wait...the beginning of the end was when they covered the Armadillo
> with a parking lot. Bastards!

Nah, actually it was turning Liberty Lunch into a high tech
corporation's building.  But Intel leaving its downtown building
to quite literally rust cos they won't finish it is the current
sign of the times.

> Dammit. If I had known I would have had a place to crash, we might have
> come down for it. ;-)
>
> May make the trip next year. Will talk to Elana about that one. I know
> she really wants to go to it. When is Bob Marley Fest?

Dunno on the latter, but everyone who wants to come had better RSVP!!!!
I may host a band next year, which would be quite interesting ;-)
All of the press back to the Beeb now has *loads* of Brits swearing
they are going to come next year.  I was just amazed at the *hourly*
recording sessions with the various BBC Radio DJs.  I'd come home
from some event only to find new stuff posted on the BBC site!