[kj] OT:What book are you reading??

Thomas Kennedy tkennedy1999 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 20:28:22 EDT 2004

(the past 6 mos.):

I just read the novelization of ALIEN v. PREDATOR - it was good (compelling and violent.....if you liked any of the related movies I bet you'd like it), though it gets corny the last 25%.   I give it a 7 out of 10.

Just before that, I read "3001:  The Final Odyssey" by Arthur C. CLarke.  The 4th and final installment (2001:  A Space Odyssey, 2010, 2061,....) was excellent and I highly recommend!   He has a nice commentary about our current state as humans, technology, and how religion gets abolished.   10 out of 10.

Previous to that, I read "The Years of Rice and Salt" by Kim Stanley Robinson.  It was a nice tale about an alternate history in which the Black Death wiped out 99% of Europe's population (instead of 1/3) and how colonization of the new world came from the East instead of the West.  Excellent and highly imaginative, it also has a very interesting commentary about where we are as human beings.   I award it another 10 out of 10.

Other than that, I've just been playing MVP Baseball 2004 on PS2.  ; )      (YES, of course my A's are in first place!)

Tom.

nicholas fitzpatrick <gasw30 at hotmail.com> wrote:
I'm just looking for some inspiration about books. I'm reading Bonfire of
the Vanities at the moment (very, arrrgh... 80s). What are you reading? Do I
get my head kicked in for sounding educated?

Anybody recommend any sci-fi or fantasy? Not my usual genre but thought I
might try it out. But not Tolkien.
I'm into detective stuff, gothic horror, historical, and when it comes to
high brow literature, I prefer the south american magial realism variety.

Anybody reading this Killing Joke novel by Harrowitz (name???). I looked for
it the other day but couldn't find it.

Feel free to recommend non-fiction too.

cheers
Nick Satan Beast 666

PS: thanks for informing me about the 93 thing. I've really got into it, as
you can see from my new name.