[kj] Mrs Coleman's Gloucestershire uprising

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:53:08 EDT 2004

Sorry to throw you into the spotlight of the gathering Mrs Coleman, but we
will all admire your anti-corporate stance.

>From LexisNexus:

Gloucestershire Echo

July 1, 2004

SECTION: News; Other; Others; Pg. 7

LENGTH: 539 words

HEADLINE: Plan for jewellery shop is a disgrace

BODY:
Gloria Coleman said proposals by fashion and jewellery chain Accessorize for
the former Scott Cooper building would mean a loss to the town's heritage.
The frontage includes period curved glass, brass mouldings and a unique
glass door.

Accessorize plan to expand into the now empty shop next to their existing
store and want to replace the art nouveau door, remove a staircase and
create openings between the two properties.

Their application for listed building consent says the existing store would
be modified to match the former Scott Cooper building.

The jewellery dealership was opened in 1906 by W Scott Cooper and was run by
four generations of the family until last year, when they said the industry
had become dominated by designer labels.

Its collection of remaining jewellery was sold for £85,000 at auction last
month. Phone bidders from as far afield as Hong Kong, Russia, the US and
Australia competed with those present at the auction, held at the Tithe Barn
in Southam, for hundreds of pieces of Russian and art nouveau jewellery,
silverware and furniture.

Some of the most sought-after items, a Faberge egg and jade puppy, went for
£2,500 and £1,500 respectively.

Mrs Coleman, who lives in Charlton Kings, said: "It's a jewel in the crown -
one of the last remaining original frontages.

"The brass mouldings and entrance are pure art nouveau." Mrs Coleman, 72,
added: "I was here 50 years ago and fell in love with it.

"I still get a kick walking down the Prom but many of the unique features
have gone and this is one of the last ones.

"I'm a committed Cheltonian. I really love this town and when I see
something being taken away from it, it makes me very angry.

"I ask all those who are proud of our Promenade to write to Cheltenham
Borough Council and protest before it is too late." Mrs Coleman, although
retired, still works as a supply teacher at Lakeside Primary School in
Hatherley.

She was named Teacher of the Year in 1994 and is the mother of Jaz Coleman
from the acclaimed metal band Killing Joke.

Accessorize's application has also been criticised by Cheltenham Civic
Society, which strongly recommends refusal.

The society's comments on the application read: "The shop front of number 52
is the last remaining from an earlier time - an historic curiosity - and as
such, must remain intact.

"The removal of the door opening, with its radiused glass recess, would
reduce much of its charm and be a significant loss to the Promenade."
Society chairman John Henry said there was no objection to Accessorize
taking over the property, just to their plans for the front.

"One can see the windows being used as a nice display for Accessorize," he
said.

"It's very nice and there's no better example in Cheltenham. It would be a
great pity to lose it." Store manager Donna McMeekin said: "The front of the
building isn't going to be touched.

"The Accessorize that's currently here will look more in keeping with the
shop next door, rather than do anything with the Scott Cooper building."
Cheltenham Borough Council's planning department will consider the
application, and all representation from the public, over the coming weeks.

LOAD-DATE: July 2, 2004

Your use of this service is governed by Terms and Conditions. Please review
them.
Copyright ©2004 LexisNexis Group