[kj] happy christmas (sic)

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 26 23:57:30 EST 2004

Hmmm. Well, I guess. But to not take into account the work and
involvement of Mike Coles and Malicious Damage in the history of the
band is a herculean act of blind sightedness. At the very least, Mike
could have been either brought on board or informed of a new, at least
AMICABLE arrangement in a much less needlessly hostile manner, given
not only his storied contributions the organization but his continued
support and web presence when the band's own  "official web site" sucks
from a grotesque teat of rancid, tepid bean paste (go ahead, tell me
I'm wrong on that point...no really, step on up and defend it!)

To read Jaz frothing at the mouth about how Dave Grohl (who played on a
whopping ONE album of the `Joke's) is "FUCKING FAMILY, MAN, HE'S
FAMILY, FAMILY, FAMILY!" (see Kerrang article of April 2003), yet
(apparently) coldly dismissing arguably the band's fifth member (so to
speak) who was involved from the get-go strikes me as rather prime cut
of.....hmmmm.....what's the word? Ah yes.....HYPOCRISY.

Let me just say this and attempt not to sound ridiculously histrionic:
Killing Joke mean a very great deal to me (as I suspect they do to most
if not all of you as well, hence your involvement here on the
Gathering). They're *NOT* just another silly rock band whose music I
happen to like to dance around air-guitaring to. I spend my days
soaking non-believers in my vitriolic spittle when they dare speak ill
of the Joke or opine without any semblance of credible knowledge about
them. Say something bad about, say, the Buzzcocks and I'll just think
you're an idiotic dick (and I'll invariably be right), but say
something bad about Killing Joke, and pugilism becomes a viable
outcome. I can and have defended them well beyond the pale of decent
human conduct. It's not just time-filling pop music to me. I've found
solace and strength in the music of Killing Joke when the rest of my
life was in tumult. I've made friends and formed lasting relationships
based on the unlikely foundation of Killing Joke (had my wife not owned
the 7" of "Love Like Blood," who knows if I'd have called her for a
second date?) For better or worse, Killing Joke have become a bigger
part of my life than probably should be considered healthy.

So, to hear them pulling disingenuous, ill-considered stunts like these
is something I find rather hugely depressing. Killing Joke owe me
nothing. My fanaticism for their music is wholly my own doing and my
own projection. But, at the very least, Killing Joke should live up to
their own loftily-preached standards.

I've had four beers on an empty stomach. Does it show?

Ale xin NYC