[kj] the Firewatercircus X-mas poll

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 11:27:12 EST 2004

I'd like to re-state for the record that I didn't come up with this poll. I merely passed it on.

a) How many nights a week do you drink?

Five, to varrying degrees.

b) Wu-Tang: Overrated, had a couple of ok moments, or total class?

I liked a couple of tracks on their first album, but by and large I'm not a huge Hip Hop fan, so couldn't really give a damn, honestly.

c) Before Sunrise: boring dreck, a good tool for getting points with
chicks, or total class?

It's a dumb date movie. No opinion, really.

d) Favourite Twilight Zone Episode?

Burgess Meredith is the lone survivor of the apocalypse, free to read all the books he'd never had time for prior to the big boom. As cruel fate would have it, he accidentally steps on his glasses, rendering him virtually blind. Life's a bitch.

e) Top 5 favourite Christmas films/animated features ?

1. "It's a Wonderful Life" 2. "Scrooge" with Albert Finney 3. "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown" 4. Bing & Bowie croon "Lil Drummer Boy" and 5. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," `cos Bumbles fuckin' Bounce, Bitches!

f) Do you have any odd/personal Christmas traditions?

No.

g) Bukowski or Burroughs?

Not a huge fan of either, but I'd sooner pick up a Burroughs book. He seemed like less of a self-loathing asshole.

h) http://www.ummagurau.com/art/russia/index.htm - Is it just me or are
these pictures some of the coolest things you've seen in ages (read the
intro, then go to the "Gallery" bit; it makes it mean far more when you
know they were pre colour photo's)

Nice, but I much prefer:  http://www.oboylephoto.com/

i) Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album:  Is there some mathematical formula that can put these into a definitive order once and for all?

I knew this question would drum up ire. I'd jettison RUBBER SOUL for MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR. Beyond that, any order is largely meaningless.

j) Hammer House of Horrors or Universal Monsters?

No real opinion, but Hammer always seemed a bit on the cheap and kitschy.

k) Back to the Future One, Two or Three?

They all suck, but if I was forced to watch one, it'd be the first one.

l) Any cover versions you can think of that are definitely better than
the originals?

"It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones as rendered by the Wedding Present.

m) What's the most useless or annoying instrument ever, that puts you off listening to something instantly?

With very rare exception, I'd say the flute.

n) What's the worst Tom Hanks film ever?

"Forrest Gump" -- an absolute piece of shit and total waste of time & celluloid.

o) If there's one thing someone has borrowed off you and never returned that you want back more than anything else, what is it?

Some bootleg live tapes, some discs, stuff like that.

p) Is/was Springsteen really The Boss?

He was never my boss. Too hoary and overblown. Too much honking saxophone. Too much drab middle-american deification. All his records are so insidiously overproduced. He seems like a nice, genuine guy, but his music has never done anything for me.

q) Ever tried Russian beer?

Yes. Don't listen to Leigh. Beer is life.

r) How about Armenian beer?

Not to my knowledge, but I'm game to try. Shut up, Leigh.

s) Best record label of all time?

Malicious Damage.

t) Best new (or new-ish at least) record label?

Malicious Damage.

u) Most interesting instrument (of all time, or one you have a passing interest in right now)?

Guitar.

v) What computer game has killed more hours of your life than any other?

"Tomb Raider" and/or "Medal of Honor", but I haven't played either in years.

w) Robert Johnson or Django Reinhardt?

Who cares? Fuck'em both.

x) Husker Du or the Replacements, and why?

For the record, I forget who got all pissy at this question, but both well PRE-DATE Nirvana. As much as I love the live rendition of "Divide & Conquer" off THE LIVING END by Husker Du, the Replacements were simply much more fun (up until DON'T TELL A SOUL, at least).

y) Greatest moment of your life, and why it was so good?

Birth of my baby daughter Charlotte, March 22nd 2004. Is an explanation necessary?

z) Biggest social gaffe you've ever witnessed, done, or heard of?

Witnessed: my friend Rob -- while sleepwalking -- drop his pants and piss on another friend's living room easy chair.
Done: After being introduced by Tod [A] to Jim "Foetus" Thirlwell after a Firewater gig, I drunkely dropped my full cup of beer, completely splattering Foetus in the process. I wanted to crawl under a table and die. Maybe Leigh's right after all.