[kj] OT a most august Poll

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Tue Aug 3 06:34:22 EDT 2004

Some of the bands people have put down are interesting and in seeing
their ages it seems to make sense at times

I know that this risks offending people but its irked me but I think I
understand why!

Some bands success were at the ages when it probably meant something to
them whereas to others at different ages it might have been considered
'pop' and equivalent to boy bands of today! Our influences all have
something to do with our peer grouping don't they?

When peace camps were a good excuse to wreck a few police cars, I recall
the younger punks all suddenly raving on about metal bands that we had
ourselves rejected probably part and parcel of the scene we were in
which saw much antagonism between the two groups. Bikers doing a dance
to Status Quo in lines (as was their way) was always too much a
temptation for us and would obviously see the village hall descend into
a battlefield. Motorhead was the exception as they epitomised the bandit
element we all liked rather than the institutionalised metal styled
bands. Living in an area with a large hells angel population also saw a
coming together with ideologies similar to this as they distanced
themselves from the mundane metal acts.

(nb: Crass at Stonehnge. Bizzarrely the hells angels smashed us all as
they thought we were taking over and disrespecting their festival. What
someone forgot to tell them is that Rimbaud, drummer of Crass, was one
of the instigators of the festival after the establishments attack on
the 'wallies' after the free festivals at Windsor)

I hear of less violence at gigs now. While I like the idea of people at
peace, I wonder if its down to the lack of anger in music nowadays?
Where are the foetus styled bands nowadays?

in the 80's I saw a general move - in the music scene that I was
involved - into industrialisation of music and a corresponding
development of industrial techno that merged and with the cross
fertilisation of dub then we saw the manifestation of entities by the
end of the decade like the orb, tackhead, meat beat manifesto....

Of course this process was generally not chart based and therefore the
teenagers around the 13/14 era were looking for alternatives to the
oncoming Bros and Smash Hits gave them the likes of Adam and the Ants,
which was rightly revolutionary in their eyes but it completely baffles
me! ; ) This is why when I played Headcount to some people of my era
they were bemused with the cover version of the ants song and probably
why Jesse James vehemently refused to have anything to do with it as
referred to by Rob. I actually thought they were taking the p*ss out of
the song until I realised that there are people out there who actually
liked the Ants beyond the sox album but who aren't new romantics! ; )

So I enjoyed this thread and hope that people might see beyond any
insult taken and encourage the reason why the influence happened. Age,
count(r)y, the type of drugs, all may have changed the equation.
Whatever though, I have a good list of stuff to maybe look at to see if
there is anything in it for me - except for the Ants that is! lol

Thanks,

iPat