[kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:13:49 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3147761629_53017_MIME_Part

Jesus, Sven, you were taking your life in your hands. You know that, don't
you?

Alex in NYC

----------
From: "Sven Oliver Roth" <rothsvenoliver@hotmail.com>
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual
Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 4:09 AM

I REALLY have to buy the Courtald talks myself now. I missed the opportunity
once many years ago when I listened into it in a shop and opted for a "real
KL album" instead.

Last Friday I was drinking and smoking backstage after the Hamburg Gig with
Jaz and Raven and after a while two "KJ veterans" told Jaz that they had
actually been at the Courtald Talks. Jaz immediately shook off his state of
exhausted post-gig relaxation and asked with hightened interest how they had
found it. It obviously means a lot to him. The lads talked a lot about the
atmosphere, how greatly Geordies Riffs had added to the atmosphere and how
the savage Joksters sat totally muted with eyes wide open listening to Jaz.
But nobody even touched upon what Jaz had actually talked about.

After a long solemn pause I just said "So, Jaz, what were you actually up to
with the Courtauld talks?"

He slowly turned his head into my direction, hurled at me a long stinging
look from under the brim of his black hat and then turned his eyes slowly
back into eternity. He started blinking fastly and didn't say anything for
quite a long time. I was waiting for a very heavy reply.

Unfortunately it was just then that someone in the room started a lengthy
and cordial farewell marathon which lasted until only Jaz, Raven, me and a
fourth guy were left in the room.

Then Raven offered me a recording of the gig and we said farewell as well as
Jaz and Raven where steering towards the exit. I asked Jaz the same question
again at the door. He stared at me for a moment and left without a word.

Too little time for too many things to explain, I guess.

I guess I really gotta buy the bloody CD to get some answers instead of
annoying poor Jaz with stupid questions.

So, sorry Jaz and thanks for the Mariuanah, have never been that stoned LOL

>From: Geoffrey ODonoghue
>To: gathering@misera.net
>Subject: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi all
>I recently purchased The Courtald Talks, the Murder Inc album (I already
had the Corpuscle EP) and The Damage Manual EP (>1) and album.
>I find that I quite enjoy listening to Courtald, especially as I had not
really heard Jaz speaking at all prior to the 2003 interviews (thanks Mik et
al). The subject material of the lecture is very interesting and, I think,
quite topical given the current state of the world. It also seems to me that
Jaz touches on a number of subjects that he explores more fully later with
the EXDAVRE lyrics. The only bit where I start rolling my eyes is when he
starts talking about H.P. Lovecraft and the elder gods (has anyone here read
Neil Gaiman's Lovecraftian short story? - mine's a pint of Shoggoth's Old
Peculiar :o). I particularly like Geordie's acoustic guitar backing and the
bit where Jaz explains and plays the section from Outside The Gate.

>The Murder Inc album also has not disappointed - I was determined to get it
after I picked up the Corpuscle EP (for $AUS2!) and really enjoyed it. There
is some very nice work by Geordie on the album (Gambit sounds like he partly
recycled the riff from Stay One Jump Ahead). Atkins is not producing so it
hasn't been f**ked up in that regard. Which brings me to...

>The Damage Manual - There is obviously some good material and great playing
on both the EP and album but, as Simon Lee said about the tracks, "someone
has overproduced them and sucked the raw energy out of most of them". This
is probably less true of the first 5 tracks of the EP but I can understand
how Geordie and Wobble were pissed off with the result. The worst example is
probably Stateless (Delusional Mix) - you can hear from the (somewhat
better) Laswell Mix that this song has a rather nice Geordie riff that has
been mixed well back. On the Delusional Mix it is gone.
>If anyone is interested - the best place to buy these CDs at the moment is
probably directly from Invisible Records. They currently have a special
offer - 5 CDs for $20, 10 for $35 etc etc - see
http://www.invisiblerecords.com/5for20main.htm

>Geoff

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. <http://g.msn.com/8HMBEN/2746??PS=>
Get 2 months FREE*. _______________________________________________

--MS_Mac_OE_3147761629_53017_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
Jesus, Sven, you were taking your life in your hands. You know that, don't =
you?<BR>
<BR>
Alex in NYC<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
----------<BR>
From: &quot;Sven Oliver Roth&quot; &lt;rothsvenoliver@hotmail.com&gt;<BR>
To: gathering@misera.net<BR>
Subject: Re: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual<BR>
Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 4:09 AM<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>I REALLY have to buy the Courtald talks myself now. I missed th=
e opportunity once many years ago when I listened into it in a shop and opte=
d for a &quot;real KL album&quot; instead. <BR>
<BR>
Last Friday I was drinking and smoking backstage after the Hamburg Gig with=
 Jaz and Raven and after a while two &quot;KJ veterans&quot; told Jaz that t=
hey had actually been at the Courtald Talks. Jaz immediately shook off his s=
tate of exhausted post-gig relaxation and asked with hightened interest how =
they had found it. It obviously means a lot to him. The lads talked a lot ab=
out the atmosphere, how greatly Geordies Riffs had added to the atmosphere a=
nd how the savage Joksters sat totally muted with eyes wide open listening t=
o Jaz. But nobody even touched upon what Jaz had actually talked about. <BR>
<BR>
After a long solemn pause I just said &quot;So, Jaz, what were you actually=
 up to with the Courtauld talks?&quot; <BR>
<BR>
He slowly turned his head into my direction, hurled at me a long stinging l=
ook from under the brim of his black hat and then turned his eyes slowly bac=
k into eternity. He started blinking fastly and didn't say anything for quit=
e a long time. I was waiting for a very heavy reply. <BR>
<BR>
Unfortunately it was just then that someone in the room started a lengthy a=
nd cordial farewell marathon which lasted until only Jaz, Raven, me and a fo=
urth guy were left in the room. <BR>
<BR>
Then Raven offered me a recording of the gig and we said farewell as well a=
s Jaz and Raven where steering towards the exit. I asked Jaz the same questi=
on again at the door. He stared at me for a moment and left without a word. =
<BR>
<BR>
Too little time for too many things to explain, I guess. <BR>
<BR>
I guess I really gotta buy the bloody CD to get some answers instead of ann=
oying poor Jaz with stupid questions. <BR>
<BR>
So, sorry Jaz and thanks for the Mariuanah, have never been that stoned LOL=
<BR>
<BR>
&gt;From: Geoffrey ODonoghue <BR>
&gt;Reply-To: <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>gathering@misera.net</U></FONT> <BR>
&gt;To: <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>gathering@misera.net</U></FONT> <BR>
&gt;Subject: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual <BR>
&gt;Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:05:11 -0700 (PDT) <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;Hi all <BR>
&gt;I recently purchased The Courtald Talks, the Murder Inc album (I alread=
y had the Corpuscle EP) and The Damage Manual EP (&gt;1) and album. <BR>
&gt;I find that I quite enjoy listening to Courtald, especially as I had no=
t really heard Jaz speaking at all prior to the 2003 interviews (thanks Mik =
et al). The subject material of the lecture is very interesting and, I think=
, quite topical given the current state of the world. It also seems to me th=
at Jaz touches on a number of subjects that he explores more fully later wit=
h the EXDAVRE lyrics. The only bit where I start rolling my eyes is when he =
starts talking about H.P. Lovecraft and the elder gods (has anyone here read=
 Neil Gaiman's Lovecraftian short story? - mine's a pint of Shoggoth's Old P=
eculiar :o). I particularly like Geordie's acoustic guitar backing and the b=
it where Jaz explains and plays the section from Outside The Gate. <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;The Murder Inc album also has not disappointed - I was determined to ge=
t it after I picked up the Corpuscle EP (for $AUS2!) and really enjoyed it. =
There is some very nice work by Geordie on the album (Gambit sounds like he =
partly recycled the riff from Stay One Jump Ahead). Atkins is not producing =
so it hasn't been f**ked up in that regard. Which brings me to... <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;The Damage Manual - There is obviously some good material and great pla=
ying on both the EP and album but, as Simon Lee said about the tracks, &quot=
;someone has overproduced them and sucked the raw energy out of most of them=
&quot;. This is probably less true of the first 5 tracks of the EP but I can=
 understand how Geordie and Wobble were pissed off with the result. The wors=
t example is probably Stateless (Delusional Mix) - you can hear from the (so=
mewhat better) Laswell Mix that this song has a rather nice Geordie riff tha=
t has been mixed well back. On the Delusional Mix it is gone. <BR>
&gt;If anyone is interested - the best place to buy these CDs at the moment=
 is probably directly from Invisible Records. They currently have a special =
offer - 5 CDs for $20, 10 for $35 etc etc - see <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>htt=
p://www.invisiblerecords.com/5for20main.htm</U></FONT> <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;Geoff <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;Do you Yahoo!? <BR>
&gt;The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search <BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"100%"><BR>
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. &lt;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://g=
.msn.com/8HMBEN/2746??PS</U></FONT>=3D&gt; &nbsp;Get 2 months FREE*. _________=