[kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual

Sven Oliver Roth gathering@misera.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:30:11 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_6011_1951_6863

<P>Its not yet availlable.</P>
<P>Sven<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: <MATT2@CHELLO.NL>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: gathering@misera.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <GATHERING@MISERA.NET>, <GATHERING@MISERA.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: Re: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:10:36 +0200
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; van: "Sven Oliver Roth" <ROTHSVENOLIVER@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; datum: 2003/09/30 di AM 11:09:31 CEST
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; aan: gathering@misera.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; onderwerp: Re: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sven said:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Then Raven offered me a recording of the gig and we said farewell as well as Jaz and Raven where steering towards the exit. I asked Jaz the same question again at the door. He stared at me for a moment and left without a word.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So what's up with the recording?!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Matt
------=_NextPart_000_6011_1951_6863

<P>I REALLY have to buy the Courtald talks myself now. I missed the opportunity once many years ago when I listened into it in a shop and opted for a "real KL album" instead.</P>
<P>Last Friday I was drinking and smoking backstage after the Hamburg Gig with Jaz and Raven and after a while&nbsp;two "KJ veterans" told Jaz that they&nbsp;had actually been at the Courtald Talks. Jaz immediately shook off his state of exhausted post-gig relaxation and asked with hightened interest how they&nbsp;had found it. It obviously means a lot to him. The lads talked a lot about the atmosphere, how greatly Geordies Riffs had added to the atmosphere and how the savage Joksters sat totally muted with eyes wide open listening to Jaz. But nobody even touched upon what Jaz had actually talked about.</P>
<P>After a long solemn pause I just said "So, Jaz, what were you actually up to with the Courtauld talks?"</P>
<P>He slowly turned his head into my direction, hurled at me a long stinging look from under the brim of his black hat and then turned his eyes slowly back into eternity. He started blinking fastly and didn't say anything for quite a long time. I was waiting for a very heavy reply.</P>
<P>Unfortunately it was just then that someone in the room started a lengthy and cordial farewell marathon which lasted until only Jaz, Raven, me and a fourth guy were left in the room.</P>
<P>Then Raven offered me a recording of the gig and we said farewell as well as Jaz and Raven where steering towards the exit. I asked Jaz the same question again at the door. He stared at me for a moment and left without a word. </P>
<P>Too little time for too many things to explain, I guess.</P>
<P>I guess I really gotta buy the bloody CD to get some answers instead of annoying poor Jaz with stupid questions.</P>
<P>So, sorry Jaz and thanks for the Mariuanah, have never been that stoned LOL<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Geoffrey ODonoghue <GO1845@YAHOO.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: gathering@misera.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: gathering@misera.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [kj] The Courtald Talks/Murder Inc/The Damage Manual
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Hi all
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I recently purchased The Courtald Talks, the Murder Inc album (I already had the Corpuscle EP) and The Damage Manual EP (&gt;1) and album.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I find that I quite enjoy listening to Courtald, especially as I had not really heard Jaz speaking at all prior to the 2003 interviews (thanks Mik et al). The subject material of the lecture is very interesting and, I think, quite topical given the current state of the world. It also seems to me that Jaz touches on a number of subjects that he explores more fully later with the EXDAVRE lyrics. The only bit where I start rolling my eyes is when he starts talking about H.P. Lovecraft and the elder gods (has anyone here read Neil Gaiman's Lovecraftian short story? - mine's a pint of Shoggoth's Old Peculiar :o). I particularly like Geordie's acoustic guitar backing and the bit where Jaz explains and plays the section from Outside The Gate.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The Murder Inc album also has not disappointed - I was determined to get it after I picked up the Corpuscle EP (for $AUS2!) and really enjoyed it. There is some very nice work by Geordie on the album (Gambit sounds like he partly recycled the riff from Stay One Jump Ahead). Atkins is not producing so it hasn't been f**ked up in that regard. Which brings me to...
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The Damage Manual - There is obviously some good material and great playing on both the EP and album but, as Simon Lee said about the tracks, "someone has overproduced them and sucked the raw energy out of most of them". This is probably less true of the first 5 tracks of the EP but I can understand how Geordie and Wobble were pissed off with the result. The worst example is probably Stateless (Delusional Mix) - you can hear from the (somewhat better) Laswell Mix that this song has a rather nice Geordie riff that has been mixed well back. On the Delusional Mix it is gone.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;If anyone is interested - the best place to buy these CDs at the moment is probably directly from Invisible Records. They currently have a special offer - 5 CDs for $20, 10 for $35 etc etc - see http://www.invisiblerecords.com/5for20main.htm
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Geoff
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Do you Yahoo!?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search