[kj] OT: R.Kelly Likens Self to Bin Laden

Mark Kolmar gathering@misera.net
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:57:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Amy Moseley wrote:

> A 15-year-old is a *child* and now that my friend has nieces
> that age, he's able to see why I was so shocked.

A 15yo is a young adult, certainly not a child.  By that standard,
childhood wouldn't end until your 30s.  Think about how much of an idiot
you were at, say, 22.  And then compare to how much of an idiot you were
at 15.  Probably not a whole lot of difference.  At 15 the cement is just
about dry, so to speak.  It takes a while longer to get a grip on the
so-called real world, sure.  And it's more complicated now than it was
many generations ago.  But I was no child at 15.  I've known other 15yos
recently, from extended family and otherwise.  Don't mix up your well-
placed protective instincts with the idea that they are still somehow
little baby kiddies.

--Mark