[kj] OT: R.Kelly Likens Self to Bin Laden

Amy Moseley gathering@misera.net
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:26:26 -0500

Quoting patrick_bate_man@gmx.net:

> i think in most parts of europe the age when teens have their own right to
> decide whether they want to have sex is now 14.

In the UK it's 16.  In the US it's 18.  This led to a
major falling-out between a friend and I over his erm,
shagging a 15-year-old when he was 22.

I was beyond shocked given the US laws (not to mention
the fact that he was married).  It wasn't until much later
that someone told me of the difference in the age of
consent that I could at all begin to stomach the idea.

Where does the "oh, it's only a year under the legal limit"
stuff stop?  Okay, so in the US that age is 17.  In the UK
it's 15, and in the above scenario, 13.  How about a year
under that, then?

A 15-year-old is a *child* and now that my friend has nieces
that age, he's able to see why I was so shocked.

I think it's best if you *know* someone well enough to know
how old they are before you shag 'em.  Call me old-fashioned,
but it protects everyone involved.  I guess I'll never be
into sex on a purely recreational basis ;-)