[kj] east coast torrent

fluw gathering@misera.net
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:51:21 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C39C99.C96E8A60

ok, must not be alone in the pack so here goes my travel diary:
=20
pull up to union square hotel. check in at 5:30. quickly change into =
battle garb and head down to the yuppy irish bar chosen by our verbose =
nyc troop leader alexinyc. we all had a blast getting to know one =
another, patronizing the yuppies keen on procuring our camp when we =
finally gave up the ghost for hopes of an arrival by geordie, jaz, nick, =
raven or ted, and browsing the excellent new malicious damage catalog =
foldout pocketbooks. otherwise events took place at the central bar as =
alex mentioned already.
=20
the cmj/webster hall gig was a tremendous experience -- the poor nyc =
hipster kids didn't know what hit them, especially the cerebrally =
challenged youngster who leaped from the balcony nearly shish kabobbing =
himself on raven's back up bass. he should be thankful that
cliff was on the ball his first night out of the gates with killing joke =
or the fool hearty stage bomber may have been pulling golden schecter =
bass splinters out of his keister and shitting gold lam=E9 turds for =
months.=20
=20
later, while enduring 90's def leppard music turned to 11 in a bar the =
size of your average walk in closet, some events enjoyed by myself were =
swapping punches to the shoulder with alex; gear talk with troy gregory =
and ted; nazi and gaza strip opinions with the duracell powered jaw of =
jossy; chawing cuban cigars while discussing/having lessons on german =
demographics with professor kingerske; and hoops and handel talk with =
tim.
=20

thursday am: breakfast with mister coles, wow!!! mike played me the =
newly discovered wardance demo - and without a doubt the best version i =
have ever heard. specifically? much more ominous and sinister. the tempo =
pulls back into a plodding super zabbath like zone far deeper than =
killing joke has ever been to my knowledge; the groove alone could =
frighten you! the definition and punch heard makes it sound as if it =
where recorded today. some example of that would be in geordie's right =
hand attack, his guitar technique is as clear as i imagine it would =
sound if your ear was two inches from his guitar. even when the band =
kicks in the guitar is not reduced to the raspy and in comparison, =
slightly indistinct sound heard on the original release. big paul's =
drums are more full/round/ and sound larger than ever before. these =
demos also contain examples of youth's playing that had me wondering how =
his playing progressed in reverse! yet still, without regard for what =
the lingering effects of playing me even more unreleased tracks would =
have, mike proceeded and the same qualities were present. mike then =
mentions some others (2 versions of pssyche etc. that may be available) =
!!!!!!!!! i talked to geordie about these demos in baltimore and he =
seemed to be ringing his hands at the thought of getting these out, as =
in my estimation, his opinions of the recordings where at least as high =
as mine. so sleep tight with the thought gatherers, as good things are =
on the kj rarities horizon! anyway mike and i had a splendid chat =
(family, BPF, kj tales) and much good advice was passed on to me by =
mike. thank you so much sir colesy!  =20

=20
thursday evening @ black cat:
opening band was very good at what they do...tricky rhythms delivered on =
a very small trap. the bassist lead the group with a stick electric =
upright and effects and samples creating funky grooves and adding =
textures with his bow and effects. yet another sample player and a =
hunching bopping projector player, as well. in general way too much =
hunching, knob twiddling, etc. for my tastes, but they were legit and =
not just providing a hollow pretense of creativity like "vhs or beta" =
the night before in nyc.
=20
killing joke came out to faithhealer - communion again. they delivered a =
blistering set
to a very diminutive crowd considering it was DC! ted is doing some =
spot-on tom work. geordie was bright toothed to those down front =
welcoming him to dc with a hearty smile and a "wah thank yee sir!" =
reply.  there was some miss communication during kings and queens as =
nick took into the last bridge too early and the tight combo never =
skipped a beat following as if by rote. jaz looked confusingly to =
geordie at the end and geordie motioned to nick to give account, but jaz =
had already turned to take a drink and missed the clarification. so =
regarding that, this and a few other discrepancies in the performance =
luckily didn't effect the show negatively and for fans of golden harp =
noise, those mistakes seemed to propel geordie into more indulgent than =
his usual pleasantly disturbing attacks on the harp following jaz's =
early exit to the dressing room - due to his stage vomiting and general =
unhealthy state. by itself, the harp fedback and sang for at least three =
minutes after all humans had left the stage. finally cliff apparently =
thought it prudent to hit the kill switch on geordie's boss tuner and =
the tormented howls and wailings of the harp where silenced.
=20
friday baltimore: (believe)?
wtf does "believe" mean? well it seems to have a lot of meaning in =
baltimore as many cars have it on their bumpers and a giant black =
obelisk near fletcher's bar advertises it as well.  a patron attending =
the show in baltimore had an apropos response by wearing a black shirt =
with the rearranged letters of this phase  "be evil".  before the gig, =
around six, lurker adam "the stranger' elected we eat at fletcher's. =
fortunately a certain tour bus with a skull on the dash was parked =
across the street so it seemed like a good idea. we walk in and there at =
the bar are geordie and raven yukking it up and knockin' back shots of =
jack. the chatting begins - "the stranger" "be evil" adam asks if he =
could buy the general and the bird a drink and geordie happily accepts a =
vodka tonic and raven another shot of jack. raven mentioned the proposed =
gathering shows, talked gear, prague, burman, etc. geordie politely =
tolerated endured my gushings about the new/old demos and said they will =
be released. anyway we proceed to order and eat and just as well leave =
geordie and raven hugging and bonding like pirates. =20
=20
at the gig, no opening band just some house dub and rob's mp3 of faith =
healer. the fletcher's performance was the best to date on the east =
coast leg. geordie was in very close approximation of his amp, within =
three or four feet at the most (a meter, for non US)  so the whistling =
and cries from the harp provided an atmosphere of impending disaster =
that gave the performance a sense of urgency. geordie was in constant =
motion on the tiny stage swaying and weaving around like a cobra =
chugging and chiming his way through the vortex of howls and harmonics =
swelling from the belly of the golden beast. raven playfully chided the =
audience and sang the first verse of pssyche full on. raven and geordie =
had particularly good chemistry this night as might be expected after =
the bonding done downstairs. jaz wasn't throwing up like in dc but was =
still sick and he didn't deliver any monologues. =20
=20
saturday night @ axis boston:
ticket says band goes on at 10:00 the wife and i, after struggling with =
the boston street routes (boston is worse than paris!), we get there at =
8:03. checking i.d.'s at the door we hear that the opening notes of =
communion on the keyboards are calling! we settle in front of geordie as =
usual and enjoy a very loud performance as others have said, but not as =
intense volume-wise as the nyc gig. jaz is looking better and he is =
talking more, expressing more and spitting up (on purpose, not =
vomiting). some monologues from jaz finally as we hadn't had much in the =
nights previous other than the "what kind of a world will we leave our =
children" on change and "there will be more war in 2004, in order to win =
the election" bit in nyc. anyway he made a statement about "needing to =
get it out" while spitting up and the "hold me in your arms open your =
arms, hold me in your arms" before DARS as well as mentioning something =
about "needing to parish and be born again" that nature. anyway, great =
gig and then it was over. and the last of 2003 was over for me.

can't wait til 2004 - the US kj tour that is, not the war

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C39C99.C96E8A60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>ok, must not be alone in the pack so =
here goes my=20
travel diary:<BR>&nbsp;<BR>pull up to union square hotel. check in at =
5:30.=20
quickly change into battle garb and head down to the yuppy irish bar =
chosen by=20
our verbose nyc troop leader alexinyc. we all had a blast getting to =
know one=20
another, patronizing the yuppies keen on procuring our camp when we =
finally gave=20
up the ghost for hopes of an arrival by geordie, jaz, nick, raven or =
ted, and=20
browsing the excellent new malicious damage catalog foldout pocketbooks. =

otherwise events took place at the central bar as alex mentioned=20
already.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>the cmj/webster hall gig was a tremendous =
experience --=20
the poor nyc hipster kids didn't know what hit them, especially the =
cerebrally=20
challenged youngster who leaped from the balcony nearly shish kabobbing =
himself=20
on raven's back up bass. he should be thankful that<BR>cliff was on the =
ball his=20
first night out of the gates with killing joke or the fool hearty stage =
bomber=20
may have been pulling golden schecter bass splinters out of his keister =
and=20
shitting gold&nbsp;lam=E9 turds for months. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>later, while =
enduring=20
90's def leppard music turned to 11 in a bar the size of your average =
walk in=20
closet, some events enjoyed by myself were swapping punches to the =
shoulder with=20
alex; gear talk with troy gregory and ted; nazi and gaza strip opinions =
with the=20
duracell powered jaw of jossy; chawing cuban cigars while =
discussing/having=20
lessons on german demographics with professor kingerske; and hoops and =
handel=20
talk with tim.<BR>&nbsp;<BR></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>thursday am: breakfast with mister =
coles, wow!!!=20
mike played me the newly discovered wardance demo - and without a doubt =
the best=20
version i have ever heard. specifically? much more ominous and sinister. =
the=20
tempo pulls back into a plodding super zabbath like zone far deeper than =
killing=20
joke has ever been to my knowledge; the groove alone&nbsp;could frighten =
you!=20
the definition and punch heard makes it sound as if it where recorded =
today.=20
some example of that would be in geordie's right hand attack, his guitar =

technique is as clear as i&nbsp;imagine it would sound if your ear was =
two=20
inches from his guitar. even when the band kicks in the guitar is not =
reduced to=20
the raspy&nbsp;and in comparison,&nbsp;slightly&nbsp;indistinct =
sound&nbsp;heard=20
on the original release. big paul's drums are more full/round/ and sound =
larger=20
than ever before. these demos also contain examples of youth's playing =
that had=20
me wondering how his playing progressed in reverse! yet still, without =
regard=20
for what the lingering effects of playing me even more unreleased tracks =
would=20
have, mike proceeded and the same qualities were present. mike then =
mentions=20
some others (2 versions of pssyche etc. that may be available) !!!!!!!!! =
i=20
talked to geordie about these demos in baltimore and he seemed to be =
ringing his=20
hands at the thought of getting these out, as in my estimation, his =
opinions of=20
the recordings where at least as high as mine. so sleep tight with the =
thought=20
gatherers, as good things are on the kj rarities horizon! anyway mike =
and i had=20
a splendid chat (family, BPF, kj tales) and much good advice was passed =
on to me=20
by mike. thank you so much sir =
colesy!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>&nbsp;<BR>thursday evening @ black=20
cat:<BR>opening band was very good at what they do...tricky rhythms =
delivered on=20
a very small trap. the bassist lead the group with a&nbsp;stick electric =

upright&nbsp;and effects and samples creating funky grooves and adding =
textures=20
with his bow and effects. yet another sample player and a hunching =
bopping=20
projector player, as well. in general way too much hunching, knob =
twiddling,=20
etc. for my tastes, but they were legit and not just providing a hollow =
pretense=20
of creativity like "vhs or beta" the night before in =
nyc.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>killing=20
joke came out to faithhealer - communion again. they delivered a =
blistering=20
set<BR>to a very diminutive crowd considering it was DC! ted is doing =
some=20
spot-on tom work. geordie was bright toothed to those down front =
welcoming him=20
to dc with a hearty smile and a "wah thank yee sir!" reply.&nbsp; there =
was some=20
miss communication during kings and queens as nick took into the last =
bridge too=20
early and the tight combo never skipped a beat following as if by rote. =
jaz=20
looked confusingly to geordie at the end and geordie motioned to nick to =
give=20
account, but jaz had already turned to take a drink and missed the=20
clarification. so regarding that,&nbsp;this and a few =
other&nbsp;discrepancies=20
in the performance luckily didn't effect the show negatively and for =
fans of=20
golden harp noise, those mistakes seemed to propel geordie into more =
indulgent=20
than his usual&nbsp;pleasantly disturbing attacks on the harp following =
jaz's=20
early exit to the dressing room&nbsp;- due to his stage vomiting and =
general=20
unhealthy state. by itself,&nbsp;the harp fedback and sang for at least =
three=20
minutes after all humans had left the stage. finally cliff apparently =
thought it=20
prudent to hit the kill switch on geordie's boss tuner and the tormented =
howls=20
and wailings of the harp where silenced.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>friday baltimore:=20
(believe)?<BR>wtf does "believe" mean? well it seems to have a lot of =
meaning in=20
baltimore as many cars have it on their bumpers and a giant black =
obelisk near=20
fletcher's bar advertises it as well.&nbsp; a patron attending the show =
in=20
baltimore had an apropos response by wearing a black shirt with the =
rearranged=20
letters of this phase&nbsp; "be evil".&nbsp; before the gig, around six, =
lurker=20
adam "the stranger' elected we eat at fletcher's. fortunately a certain =
tour bus=20
with a&nbsp;skull on the dash was parked across the street so it seemed =
like a=20
good idea. we walk in and there at the bar are geordie and raven yukking =
it up=20
and knockin' back shots of jack. the chatting begins - "the stranger" =
"be evil"=20
adam asks if he could buy the general and the bird a drink and geordie =
happily=20
accepts&nbsp;a vodka tonic and raven another shot of jack. raven =
mentioned the=20
proposed gathering shows, talked gear, prague, burman, etc. geordie =
politely=20
tolerated endured my gushings about the new/old demos and said they will =
be=20
released. anyway we proceed to order and eat and just as well leave =
geordie and=20
raven hugging and bonding like pirates.&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;<BR>at&nbsp;the =
gig, no=20
opening band just some house dub and rob's mp3 of faith healer. the =
fletcher's=20
performance was the best to date on the east coast leg. geordie was in =
very=20
close approximation of his amp, within three or four feet at the most (a =
meter,=20
for&nbsp;non US) &nbsp;so the whistling and cries from the harp provided =
an=20
atmosphere of impending disaster that gave the performance a sense of =
urgency.=20
geordie was in constant motion on the tiny stage swaying and weaving =
around like=20
a cobra chugging and chiming his way through the vortex of howls and =
harmonics=20
swelling from the belly of the golden beast. raven playfully chided the =
audience=20
and sang the first verse of pssyche full on. raven and geordie had =
particularly=20
good chemistry this night as might be expected after the bonding done=20
downstairs. jaz wasn't throwing up like in dc but was still sick and he =
didn't=20
deliver any monologues.&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;<BR>saturday night @ axis=20
boston:<BR>ticket says band goes on at 10:00 the&nbsp;wife and i, after=20
struggling with the boston street routes (boston is worse than paris!), =
we get=20
there at 8:03. checking i.d.'s at the door we hear that the opening =
notes of=20
communion on the keyboards are calling!&nbsp;we settle in front of =
geordie as=20
usual and enjoy a very loud performance as others have said, but not as =
intense=20
volume-wise as the nyc gig. jaz is looking better and he is talking =
more,=20
expressing more and spitting up (on purpose, not vomiting). some =
monologues from=20
jaz finally as we hadn't had much&nbsp;in the nights previous&nbsp;other =
than=20
the "what kind of a world will we leave our children" on change and =
"there will=20
be more war in 2004, in order to win the election" bit in nyc. anyway he =
made a=20
statement about "needing to get it out" while spitting up and the "hold =
me in=20
your arms open your arms, hold me in your arms" before DARS as well as=20
mentioning something about "needing to parish and be born again" that =
nature.=20
anyway, great gig and then it was over. and the last of 2003&nbsp;was =
over for=20
me.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>can't wait til 2004 - the US kj tour that is, not =
the=20
war</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C39C99.C96E8A60--