[kj] Astoria and thanks

Shadforth, Jane E SUKOP-UOIT/42 gathering@misera.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:44:04 +0100

Rob wrote:

It was great to see the usual suspects and to meet a few more too. Jane =
Shadforth even stood still long enough for me to say hello!

// LOL - only 'cos you trapped me in the corridor of the Garlic & Shots =
between the stairs and the restaurant. I had no escape ;-)

// Seriously though - Saturday was insane - too many old friends to =
catch up with, and new & old faces from the gathering to meet. I found I =
wasn't able to say much more than two words to anybody before the show =
either in the Cro bar, or the Keith Moon bar, and it wasn't much easier =
afterwards in the Moon under Water. It was quite a relief when we =
actually managed to sit down in the cellars of the Garlic & Shots for a =
semi civilised drink. (Just a pain getting to & from the bar).

// and the show was amazing too - crowd action was probably the best of =
the tour so far, although I still think Amsterdam was my favourite...

// Sadly, Sunday was not a good day for me. Woke up with headache, and =
couldn't even keep a cup of coffee down. Had to go & meet my father & =
step-family for lunch, which was hard work as I was having hot & cold =
sweats throughout, and could do little more than push the food around =
the plate. Then had an unenjoyable time plodding around Covent Garden =
watching some very mediocre street performers entertain the kids. =
Cro-bar was closed, so met Mik, Paula, Stefane, Alison, Leigh, Andreas, =
Matt, Sarah, Antoni & Nichola in the Cambridge, and texted as many =
friends I could the revised plan. It all came out in the wash, as even =
those without phones worked it out one way or another, and eventually =
found us. Unfortunately, my sickness got worse as the evening wore on, =
the smoke was bothering my sore throat, I was shivering every time the =
door opened, and I felt very faint. I propped myself up in the corner =
trying to be polite to my friends, but really just wanted to go & lie =
down. I even contemplated selling my ticket & going back to John & =
Kate's flat to crash, but decided I could manage to watch the show from =
the balcony. Went up to the Keith Moon bar, and decided to switch to =
water, as alcohol wasn't going down well. As Saturday, lots of familiar =
faces there, but I wasn't feeling very sociable, so hid in a corner on =
the stairs until the show started, then made my way onto the balcony. It =
was very strange to actually watch the show, but as I kept having faint =
moments, and spent the entire show putting my cardie on when I was cold, =
then taking it off when I was too hot, there was no way I could make my =
way downstairs. It was good to see it from a different perspective, but =
I found it really frustrating, and when they played Pssyche I could have =
cried that I couldn't "take part"...=20
Found out afterwards that John & Kate had already left to take their =
friend's 19 year old son home, so made my way back to Leyton feeling =
feverish & paranoid. I was sure everyone on the tube & the bus was a =
psycho, and was convinced I'd got on the wrong bus...

// A bit better Monday after 11 hours sleep, managed to drive home, and =
now trying to recover in time for Preston.

Jane
=20