[kj] Used CDs. . .

sade1 gathering@misera.net
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

   wow, this was painfully funny if you happen to like the tomes
reviewed. They even picked on The Sundays - they never hurt
anyone...
But the Ministry review had me laffing hard...it's 'to a tee'
what i've seen at EVERY Mnstry show,
21: Ministry: Psalm 69
    Ministry fans don't die; in their world, they don't even get
old. Prune-faced, grey-haired and drawn, they're still blowing
rails of coke and wearing 18-inch Docs to clubs nationwide. In
his big money heyday (1988-95), Ministry founder Al Jourgensen
hit the stage with so much snow in his dreds it looked like he
was wearing a powdered wig. Maybe it was heroin (who really
knows?) but this much is clear: since Iggy Pop and Bowie's
Berlin debauchery, no one in the underground music scene has
done more drugs than this very angry Cubs fan.
Though the name first surfaced on a handful of effeminate
sub-Depeche Mode club tracks, Ministry soon became the defining
industrial act, a raging speed metal freight train that embraced
sequencing and later sampling. Like "Stigmata", "Thieves" and
"Burning Inside", this album's "N.W.O.", "Just One Fix" and the
Butthole Surfers collaboration "Jesus Built My Hotrod" are songs
you should know by heart. Thousands of Lollapalooza goers bought
Psalm 69 after the calamitous penultimate sets Ministry
delivered, but this is exactly the sort of record your wife will
shame you into selling ten years later, especially if you have
kids. I may have to side with the ladies, since the
proto-grindcore "TV II" is to yuppies the audio equivalent of
The Exorcist. Profit from the generation gap, young readers:
this one still has nine-inch nails.

2: New Order: Republic
    If you ever get into it with a snotty New Order fan-- the
kind that refuses to acknowledge the hilarious oafishness of
Bernard Sumner's lyrics (thankfully there aren't too many after
Get Ready)-- there's one phrase guaranteed to send them
screaming from the room: "Bass mechanic, YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!" It may
have been sampled from Miami bass progenitor DXJ's prescient
1986 hit "Bass Mechanic", but no amount of referential hipster
cachet could make me listen to "Spooky" ever again. Sumner
shouting, "Let's defend the things we say," over such a sub-par
backing track-- even by New Order's preprogrammed standards-- is
agony. For him, regret.
To this day, you can still find the "limited run", lifejacket
version of Republic in rural American used CD shops. Apart from
"Everyone Everywhere", a breezy, half-asleep bit of wallpaper at
best, the three great singles ("Regret", "World" and "Ruined in
a Day") from this hugely over-promoted 1993 album are available
on the flawless Best of New Order, which was released only two
years later to recoup against this album and the sad supporting
tour that broke New Order up for almost ten years. Head to the
hits comp for everything you'll need from this tepid, repetitive
bore (and from Technique, for that matter

--- Mark Kolmar <mark@burningrome.com> wrote:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/castoffs-and-cutouts/index.shtml

> Mostly savage

=====