[kj] "a very dubious character"

Djehuti111 gathering@misera.net
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:34:17 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Grey,

--- Greyson Stoehr <greygrrl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Aleph:
>
> Before anyone beings to think I'm some kind of
> closed-minded, opinionated idiot, you should know
> that
> my comments were based out of knowledge of the Abra
> Melim and the cautionary story told of the
> practitioner who changed his basic belief
> system...and
> ended up dead.

 I promise that this is not my opinion of you, nor was
I trying to imply to anyone else that you are either
close-minded or an opinionated idiot.

 Given my history on the Gathering, I'd wager that
more people actually think of ME that way. ;)

 I was merely pointing out that I'd be upset if
somebody told me that they viewed my current spiritual
beliefs as a regression.
 I understand now that there was more to your
conversation with Jaz that you posted here yesterday.
 Sorry for any confusion.

>  The cautions throughout that book
> warn
> against it, and I was specifically pointing that out
> to Jaz, although my earlier synopsis of our
> conversation did not tell you that.  SL
> MacGregor-Mathers may have produced that book's
> translation, but it was very fundamental to Aleister
> Crowley to use the working of the Abra Melim in the
> first place.

 It's been a long time since I've read Abramelin.
I do seem to recall a warning about changing your
faith "mid operation", which of course would be
detrimental to the working and VERY dangerous to the
magician himself.
 I wasn't aware that Jaz had embarked upon that
specific journey though.

> I was only reporting what was told to me by Jaz so
> that it could be seen where HE, himself, had drawn a
> line.  I wasn't presenting anything I said or did as
> being anything more than it was.

 I get a little lost here.
What I read in your previous email was that you had
said that you'd seen his going back to his Muslim
roots as a regression.
 I think that I understand this to mean that this was
from the viewpoint of Abramelin and it was not your
own opinion?

 Either way, apologies again for any
misunderstandings/miscommunications from my end.

 A L P

> Grey
>
> > From: Djehuti111 <djehuti111@yahoo.com>
>
> > > Jaz decided it was time to go 'back to his
> > > roots' and become a Muslim.  He'd more or less
> > > renounced Thelema by that point, and when I
> argued
> > > that I saw what he'd done as a regressive move,
> he
> > > couldn't believe it.
> >
> >  Personally, I'd have a hard time hearing that
> from
> > someone too.
> >
> >  I feel that I'm the only person qualified to make
> > judgement calls about something as personal as my
> > own
> > spiritual beliefs.
> >  In my mind, what that boils down to is someone
> > telling me that they know better than I about how
> > live my life or which pantheon of God/dess' speak
> > me.
> >
> >  Liber AL has the following to say on such
> matters:
> >
> > "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
> >
> > "...So with thy all; thou has no right but to do
> thy
> > will."
> > "Do that, and no other shall say nay"
> >
> >  That aside, remember that Crowley himself had
> both
> > great respect for Islam and had considered
> becoming
> > Muslim at one point himself.

=====
"The scene was wild and somewhat sinister. The
darkness, the palms, the mountainous background, the
silent lake below, the impenetrable canopy of space,
studded with secretive and significant stars, formed a
stupendous setting for the savage noise and blaze of
the ceremony."