[kj] ot - giving thanks

Amy Moseley Rupp gathering@misera.net
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:07:19 -0600 (CST)

>  As an Irish/Cherokee hybrid I'm WELL aware of how
> Native Americans have been treated by the conquering
> European hordes!

I'm an English/Scottish/Welsh/Cherokee hybrid (1/16
Cherokee).  I think that the way the Native Americans
were treated was a sin.  My Cherokee ancestors hid
out away from the Trail of Tears and managed to stay
in their Tennessee mountain homelands, but the Civil
War forced them out and temporarily north to Indiana.

On the other hand it is a holiday to get together with
friends and family and EAT without the pressures of
having to go broke buying presents, without religion
getting in the way.....

It's like the traditional bridal processional and
recessional.  These being politically correct days,
you can't use "Here Comes The Bride" for example,
because it comes from a forced wedding during
a Wagner opera and Wagner was an atheist or some such....
and this isn't the religious right talking, it's
the *Anglicans* for pity's sake.  Now if you hadn't
told me, precious few would even be aware of where
the music came from.  So now if you marry in a church
you have to ditch traditional music!!!

I don't know how far to take political correctness.
Should I move "back" somewhere, and if so, where?
If we were to repatriate the land to the Native
Americans (of which I am partially descended),
should I send the other 15/16ths of myself back
to .... England?  and can you imagine, there'd
be no room left!  Could the African-Americans stay,
given that their ancestors had no choice in coming?