[kj] ot - giving thanks

Djehuti111 gathering@misera.net
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:16:32 -0800 (PST)

 Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks!

 As an Irish/Cherokee hybrid I'm WELL aware of how
Native Americans have been treated by the conquering
European hordes!

 You get 5 gold Stars for your excellent E-research.
Perhaps you should be thankful today for your internet
connection.
 I sincerely hope it's not all you have to be thankful
for.

 You want to start on your Christmas research project
now?

A L P

--- fluw <fluwdot@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The first official Thanksgiving wasn't a festive
> gathering of Indians
> and Pilgrims, but rather a celebration of the
> massacre of 700 Pequot
> men, women and children, an anthropologist says. Due
> to age and illness
> his voice cracks as he talks about the holiday, but
> William B. Newell,
> 84, talks with force as he discusses Thanksgiving.
> Newell, a Penobscot,
> has degrees from two universities, and was the
> former chairman of the
> anthropology department at the University of
> Connecticut.
>
> "Thanksgiving Day was first officially proclaimed by
> the Governor of the
> Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 to commemorate the
> massacre of 700 men,
> women and children who were celebrating their annual
> green corn
> dance-Thanksgiving Day to them-in their own house,"
> Newell said.
>
> "Gathered in this place of meeting they were
> attacked by mercenaries and
> Dutch and English. The Indians were ordered from the
> building and as
> they came forth they were shot down. The rest were
> burned alive in the
> building," he said.
>
> Newell based his research on studies of Holland
> Documents and the 13
> volume Colonial Documentary History, both thick sets
> of letters and
> reports from colonial officials to their superiors
> and the king in
> England, and the private papers of Sir William
> Johnson, British Indian
> agent for the New York colony for 30 years in the
> mid-1600s.
>
> "My research is authentic because it is
> documentary," Newell said. "You
> can't get anything more accurate than that because
> it is first hand. It
> is not hearsay."
>
> Newell said the next 100 Thanksgivings commemorated
> the killing of the
> Indians at what is now Groton, Ct. [home of a
> nuclear submarine base]
> rather than a celebration with them. He said the
> image of Indians and
> Pilgrims sitting around a large table to celebrate
> Thanksgiving Day was
> "fictitious" although Indians did share food with
> the first settlers.

> as W makes a stop in iraq today, it is good to see
> the tradition is reaching new horizons

=====
"The scene was wild and somewhat sinister. The
darkness, the palms, the mountainous background, the
silent lake below, the impenetrable canopy of space,
studded with secretive and significant stars, formed a
stupendous setting for the savage noise and blaze of
the ceremony."