[kj] Their BRILLIANT career

Antoni Adamiak gathering@misera.net
Sun, 25 May 2003 00:51:02 +0100

After my earlier ramblings, I've dug out another NME clipping (when they
weren't such the bunch of w*nk*rs that they are these days) which documents
the birth of Brilliant. Apart from Paul Ferguson & Youth, they had a
vocalist called Marcus and a second bassist called Tintin. Yes, that Tintin,
as in "Stephen Tintin Duffy" who had some minor UK pop hit.

http://home.clara.net/antoni/brillo.jpg

Anyway, after Paul Ferguson rejoined KJ, he was replaced in Brilliant by
Andy Anderson, the one time Cure drummer but I never really kept tabs on
that was going on with Youth's post KJ work. One thing I did take notice of
though was their (one & only ?) John Peel session that was aired in 1983
(roughly at the same time as the Frenzy, Dominator, Harlequin & Wilful Days
session). Consisting of three tracks,  "Bells", "Colours - Break It Down"
and "Holst" (named after another famous Cheltenham son, Gustav) - whatever
else they produced, this JP session was certainly top drawer. I guess I
should send an audio C90 copy of this to someone for a spot of MP3
production. You'll like it, I'm sure of that.

Regards,

Antoni

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/ *