[kj] review of new tunes

Matt gathering@misera.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:22:41 +0200

--MS_Mac_OE_3139413762_47911_MIME_Part

just rearranged my holiday, i'm gonna see
FOUR KILLING JOKE SHOWS IN 5 DAYS!!!
I'M OUT OF MY HEAD, I'M OUT OF MY MIND ETC....
(hope to see some of you in belgium/germany/holland)
MATT

From: "fluw" <fluwdot@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:21:49 -0500
To: <gathering@misera.net>
Subject: Re: [kj] review of new tunes

nicholas,

you're right i am a fan of the what's this for, revelations, fire dances,
night time, era more than say pandemonium or any of the metal leanings
killing joke has, i know you don't expect it to sound like the early
stuff...but this record definitely has more in common with exdirt (a
borrowed bridge), pandemonium (general style) and the first record (stripped
down meter oriented riffing) than any of the prime 81-85 stuff.

the guitar tone on this record is of the one dimensional type in comparison.
not much of the bells of horror and grace, or howling harmonics, or throaty
longing wails of a four story prehistoric beast looking for a mate - the
licks rarely go anywhere near the complexities of that said 'prime' era or
even democracy for that matter. geordie does show some yummy new sounds and
styles on this record  but overall his playing is more interesting from a
meter perspective.

and the drums ? well, they are excellent, great tones, crisp playing and
state of the hard rock art, yet they mirror the guitar and follow the guitar
as if that is all he had in his head phones. the skins show signs of
invention grounded in very clever technique, not one trying to take the
listener to another reality like big paul does.
this a record that was created by pros tracking at different times and never
having had the alchemical stirring exchange of ideas, that is obvious.

this will be a good record live, it will be fun to pit to. but i have my
reservations about whether it will get as much play on my stereo come 2005
as say fire dances does.