[kj] review of new tunes

fluw gathering@misera.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:21:49 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C33B14.5A7F9040

nicholas,

you're right i am a fan of the what's this for, revelations, fire =
dances, night time, era more than say pandemonium or any of the metal =
leanings killing joke has, i know you don't expect it to sound like the =
early stuff...but this record definitely has more in common with exdirt =
(a borrowed bridge), pandemonium (general style) and the first record =
(stripped down meter oriented riffing) than any of the prime 81-85 =
stuff.

the guitar tone on this record is of the one dimensional type in =
comparison. not much of the bells of horror and grace, or howling =
harmonics, or throaty longing wails of a four story prehistoric beast =
looking for a mate - the licks rarely go anywhere near the complexities =
of that said 'prime' era or even democracy for that matter. geordie does =
show some yummy new sounds and styles on this record  but overall his =
playing is more interesting from a meter perspective.

and the drums ? well, they are excellent, great tones, crisp playing and =
state of the hard rock art, yet they mirror the guitar and follow the =
guitar as if that is all he had in his head phones. the skins show signs =
of invention grounded in very clever technique, not one trying to take =
the listener to another reality like big paul does.
this a record that was created by pros tracking at different times and =
never having had the alchemical stirring exchange of ideas, that is =
obvious.

this will be a good record live, it will be fun to pit to. but i have my =
reservations about whether it will get as much play on my stereo come =
2005 as say fire dances does.  =20

  ----- Original Message -----=20