[kj] KJ on the radio (fwd)

Mark Kolmar gathering@misera.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:28:02 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Sent this to the wrong place...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:51:13 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
From: Mark Kolmar <mark@burningrome.com>
To: gathering-list@misera.net
Subject: KJ on the radio

Bruce Dickinson sounded like a brighter fellow than I had given him credit
for.  He was able to more-or-less keep pace.

Maybe I am missing the point of the program -- the playlist I read did not
look retro -- but it struck me that Jaz's (and Geordie's?) song selections
were all about 20 years old.  I expect a lot of us here were more
impressionable then, so it's only natural many of our sentimental
favorites date from that time.  But beyond that, it seemed odd not to get
into the question of "what the kids are doing these days" -- at worst, for
credibility in an I've-been-paying-attention-I-swear sort of way.

Actually they did touch on that very briefly as an aside to the subject of
Dave Grohl the live drummer.  I am actually a genuine fan of turntablism,
and hip hop more generally.  A turntable does not substitute for anything
else, and it's important to see the deep, immense, true love of music that
most of the good scratch DJs have.

Glad to hear the conspiracy theories etc., and the discussion about
Iceland was great.

I will look for the archived show, or let me know where it is, and I can
grab it.

--Mark