[kj] New Album

Will E Scheipers gathering@misera.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:39:58 -0700

After four listens I can definitely say this:

With the exceptions of Loose Cannon and Dark Forces this is an excellent
album.

The mix is pretty good too, everything is balanced, but the bass is mixed
a bit too low on some tracks, then again, if Youth was playing them there
might not have been much to listen to anyway.

Jaz sounds fully into this project and is finally living up to the
"schizoid existence" that he's been bullshitting about for the past 7
years.

Geordie may be VERY metal sounding on this album, but who cares? The
songs are good and even though they are usually 5 or 6 minutes long, the
songs feel like they are only 3.

Youth/Raven/Whoever The Bass is good on some tracks, but gets buried in
others. Nothing remarkable about the bass on this album, but it is steady
and more upbeat than the slow plodding bass on Pandemonium and Democracy.

Grohl is the best killing joke drummer since atkins, I sum his style up
as more toms than Dugmore and less cymbals than atkins. All in all his
restrained performance (not going over the top with cymbals or otherwise)
fits the songs perfectly.

Hopefully this album is a sign on bigger and better things to come.
Geordie says he had his "retirement" the last seven years, lets hope the
rest of the band (and possibly BP) feels the same.

From,
Will