[kj] OT: Amy's request...

Shadforth, Jane E SUKOP-UOIT/42 gathering@misera.net
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:18:13 -0000

Hi Amy - I'm not sure about detailed, 'cos a) I'm struggling for time =
and b) I'm not knowedgeable enough about either band, (or have a good =
enough memory), to provide an accurate setlist on any of the shows.

Echo & the Bunnymen I saw 3 times this year, at Glastonbury, V2003 and =
Liverpool Empire. The 2 festival appearances were both quite short, and =
were the sort of "greatest hits" shows designed to entertain a casual =
audience. Unfortunately at Glastonbury, they went on stage just after =
the only downpour of the weekend, so the audience was very small, as =
everybody had disappeared to take shelter/get dry. Nevertheless, they =
played well, and there was good vibe from the small crowd. Likewise at =
V2003 they did a good show, and I would say they probably won over a few =
new fans/reminded people they are still aroudn at both festivals.

Liverpool Empire, however, was a different kettle of fish, playing to a =
hometown audience of confirmed fans, and they pulled out a real mixture =
of old & new / hits & obscure album tracks. They couldn't lose in that =
environment, and it was a tremendous gig. Probably not the best time =
I've seen them, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

The Damned I saw a couple of times in May (Manchester & Liverpool), then =
also at Glastonbury, then 3 times this month, (Bristol, Northampton, =
London). This seems to have been a really good year for them, as not =
only are they now selling out venues this month, but they now seem to be =
attracting youngsters into the fold, which has to be a good thing when =
so many bands of their era are seeing diminishing attendances of a few =
old punks. For a band who have had there up's & downs over the years, =
(and I have seen them perform dismally on more than a few occasions), =
they seem to really have it sorted at the moment & all the gigs I've =
seen this year have been consistently blinding... They play a good mix =
of old favourites from throughout their career, combined with a few =
songs from the current album, and the atmosphere is always brilliant =
fun, and can be very lively. The only downside of the last 2 dates was =
Captain Sensible airing his Punk Aid single, which whilst being for a =
very good cause, is not a good song...=20

Antoni - anything to add from Saturday??

Jane