[kj] OT: Are we still talking about Evanescence here?

gathering@misera.net gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:42:00 EST

Okay, here we go....

"Alex, do you not see your own hypocrisy?"

No, but I *DO* see a big middle finger pointed right at YOU!

"You and many others on the Gathering have blasted Peter for his statements
about the 'sword of Islam' and then you turn around and paint all Xian
musician's art as moot simply
because of their religious beliefs?"

You may notice, I wrote: "1. They're Christians, which renders their music
instantly moot, as far as I'm concerned." There is a *HUGE* difference between
decrying an entire faith as zombified zealots sworn to the abject destruction
of all non-believers and expressing the opinion that "Christian Rock" sucks so
bad that it's not even worth discussing...once again, AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.
 Peter was talking about warfare, I was discussing entertainment. Does
expressing my disdain for Evanescence's music mean that I think all Christians are
the enemy? No, but it means I think their weak -ass attempts at rock suck giant
bag of greasy dicks.

"Bruce Cockburn is a Xian is his body of work moot?"

I've never been a fan

"What about Dylan?"

I've *NEVER* been a fan of Bob Dylan

*What about any number of classical composers?"

That's not Rock.

"And what about reggae?"

That's not Christian, and technically, that's not rock either.

"Is it all moot because of their religious beliefs?"

I never said that. My point was that Christian Rock sucks...a statement I'll
stand behind.

"After all a great deal of reggae is overtly religious in it's lyrical
content."

True, but that's reggae.

"Does Cat Stevens automatically suck because of his allegiance to Allah?"

Did I ever suggest as much?

"Do Live automatically suck because of the Buddhist slant?"

No, they automatically suck BECAUSE THEY'RE LIVE!!!!!

" When are you and the other members of this list going to see that you're as
prejudiced and hateful as the people you condemn?"

Number one, I'm not PRE-JUDGING Evanescence. I've had the TREMENDOUS
MISFORTUNE of hearing their music....thus, my judgement of them is based on the
evidence, not on preconceptions. Moreover, after fourteen years of Catholic
education, I feel no qualms about speaking out about a faith I was raised within.

" BTW I'm no fan of Evanescence either."

How nice for you.

Alex in NYC
reply to home e-mail: vassifer@earthlink.net