[kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03

Jester gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:40:03 -0600

Cheers Claire,

Where have you been???? We missed ya!
On 12/19/03 12:47 PM, "Pagan" <scotgothwitch@btinternet.com> wrote:

> The music industry and magazines like Kerrang telling the "spooky kids" t=
hat
> such bands are Goth.  That's why.

Funny that kids read what the media tells them is goth, yet have not the
first idea of what the concept of the whole genre really is. Like the bough=
cliff's notes to artistic styling, and decided that it was "kewl" to wear
makeup, dress like an Anne Rice movie, and call themselves bi. Yeah, THAT=B9S
what goth is!
>=20
> In the past few days I have been involved in an online "discussion" with =
2
> "Goths" who have told me that Metallica, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Nir=
vana
> are/were Goth bands!

Ok, that actually has me at a loss for words...Metallica and goth have no
place in the same sentence, unless it is to say that Metallica is the
genuine antithesis of goth.
>=20
> We also had the misfortune of DJing at an under 18's Metal and Goth night
> recently.  I was asked to play old Goth specifically and Craig was asked =
> play "Real Metal".  I really didn't see much point in playing old Goth as=
 most
> of the kids there (average age of about 16) wouldn't know a lot of it but=
 as
> this was what the organiser wanted, I played a fairly safe, well known se=
t.
> The kind of tracks they might have heard on some of the compilations doin=
g the
> rounds but it was a waste of time.  One wee lassie who was gothed up to t=
he
> nines complained during Motorhead's "Killed By Death" about their being n=
> real metal.

Motorhead not metal? WTF? God damn I hate this pussed out extacy rave shitt=
music listening group of posers we have around. Thing is, we are talking
about the same type of kids that listened to Whitesnake and Bon Jovi while =
spun SoM, SAHB (tho I know that is not really goth...still was spooky to a
17 year old who only heard "Bad Medicine" then to get exposed to Faith
Healer LIVE) and Bauhaus, and had my friends scared as shit. Yeah, myself
and a couple of friends were labeled "SATANISTS" by our peers. Goody!
>=20
> We tried everything in the end - Killing Joke, Turbonegro, Sisters of Mer=
cy,
> NIN, The Mission, FOTN, Die Krupps, Clan of Xymox, Cubanate etc but they
> weren't interested.  According to them, it wasn't metal or Goth.  They wa=
nted
> bands like System of a Down and other bands that we hadn't even heard of =
like
> The Kidney Thieves, Colin's Collar 67 etc (although it did make me feel b=
etter
> that neither the resident DJ or my wee brother had even heard of the last
> two)!

Oh, so they were playing the "lets name an obscure band we don=B9t really
know, to increase our cred" game? Tell them to sell that shit to the
tourists.
>=20
> Even the resident DJ, who runs his own Goth & Metal night in another part=
 of
> Scotland, hadn't heard or heard of Alice by SoM (and no Bo, I didn't play=
 the
> disco version)!

Ya know, that=B9s not surprising....
>=20
> The kids seem to think that because they wear black, they must be Goths
> therefore the music they listen to must be Goth too.  Then magazines come=
 out
> and push a lot of the bands they listen to as Goth and their thoughts are
> confirmed.

Ya know, I can put on a dress, with flowers and pastells, grow my hair out,
and shave. Call meself a girl to my hearts content. But in the end, I still
have a dick, and I am still a man. Point here is, you can dress how ya want=
.
Doesn=B9t make you any different inside. You know, even a slut can wear white
on her wedding day.
>=20
> All I can say is that when these kids turn 18 and start coming out to the=
 main
> Goth/Industrial/EBM clubs they're going to be in for one hell of a shock.

Reminds me of when I took a good friend to their first Killing Joke show in
91. Boy grew up in Mesquite, and all he ever saw and heard was what I playe=
for him, and what was on MTv. He thought that look was just for show, and
people really didn=B9t talk about the shit I talked about. He found in a
hurry, he was sadly mistaken.

KEEPING THE FIRE ALIVE WITH HONOUR!
OCCISIO LOCATIO=20

THE WEBMASTER,=20
JESTER=20
WWW.KILLING-JOKE.COM
WWW.PARALLAX1.COM=20

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

"In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for Windows or
Gates?"