[kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:58:19 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3154687099_49167_MIME_Part

Claire just summed up the point I was ineloquently attempting to make with
more panache, style and credibility than I could ever muster. Well done,
lass!

Alex in NYC

----------
From: "Pagan" <scotgothwitch@btinternet.com>
To: <gathering@misera.net>
Subject: Re: [kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2003, 1:47 PM

The music industry and magazines like Kerrang telling the "spooky kids" tha=
such bands are Goth.  That's why.

In the past few days I have been involved in an online "discussion" with 2
"Goths" who have told me that Metallica, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and
Nirvana are/were Goth bands!

We also had the misfortune of DJing at an under 18's Metal and Goth night
recently.  I was asked to play old Goth specifically and Craig was asked to
play "Real Metal".  I really didn't see much point in playing old Goth as
most of the kids there (average age of about 16) wouldn't know a lot of it
but as this was what the organiser wanted, I played a fairly safe, well
known set.  The kind of tracks they might have heard on some of the
compilations doing the rounds but it was a waste of time.  One wee lassie
who was gothed up to the nines complained during Motorhead's "Killed By
Death" about their being no real metal.

We tried everything in the end - Killing Joke, Turbonegro, Sisters of Mercy=
,
NIN, The Mission, FOTN, Die Krupps, Clan of Xymox, Cubanate etc but they
weren't interested.  According to them, it wasn't metal or Goth.  They
wanted bands like System of a Down and other bands that we hadn't even hear=
of like The Kidney Thieves, Colin's Collar 67 etc (although it did make me
feel better that neither the resident DJ or my wee brother had even heard o=
the last two)!

Even the resident DJ, who runs his own Goth & Metal night in another part o=
Scotland, hadn't heard or heard of Alice by SoM (and no Bo, I didn't play
the disco version)!

The kids seem to think that because they wear black, they must be Goths
therefore the music they listen to must be Goth too.  Then magazines come
out and push a lot of the bands they listen to as Goth and their thoughts
are confirmed.

All I can say is that when these kids turn 18 and start coming out to the
main Goth/Industrial/EBM clubs they're going to be in for one hell of a
shock.

Claire