[Scons-users] SCONS -j12, console output is disordered

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jan 4 14:07:58 EST 2024

On 1/4/24 10:39, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Any chance that repo could be relicensed, or dual licensed MIT?
> That would allow us to possibly pull in some of your logic to core scons..
>
> -Bill
>
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 9:33 AM Gary Granger <granger at ucar.edu
> <mailto:granger at ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
>     __
>     For whatever it's worth, I had an example to provide, but then after
>     looking at it I decided it needed some work.  So now it's a little
>     more self-contained, and I think it's a reasonable example of a
>     SPAWN override.  We use it to save full test output into log files
>     while filtering the console output to the more meaningful lines.  I
>     expect it could be modified easily to cache the output from a single
>     command and write the output to the console all at once.  Perhaps
>     that would avoid your interleaved output problem.  Our
>     implementation can be seen here:
>
>     https://github.com/NCAR/eol_scons/blob/master/eol_scons/spawner.py
>     <https://github.com/NCAR/eol_scons/blob/master/eol_scons/spawner.py>
>
>     Good luck,
>     Gary
>
>     On 12/25/23 13:36, Bill Deegan wrote:
>>     Please respond to the individual message, not the digest of messages.
>>
>>     You can find information on SPAWN here:
>>     https://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html#cv-SPAWN
>>     <https://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html#cv-SPAWN>
>>
>>     I'm not aware of any easy to find examples, but you should be able
>>     to figure it out based on the manpage
>>     <https://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html#cv-SPAWN>
>>     contents: (copied here)

Just so it's been mentioned, there once, long ago, was a concept of
capturing outputs and doing something with them. Ambitious ideas... if
any work happened on this front it doesn't live on in the codebase today
(I wasn't around the project back then so I can't draw on any personal
memories, only breadcrumbs on the wiki):

https://github.com/SCons/scons/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas#logging-framework