[Scons-users] Custom environment tools evaluated before Configure contexts?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Nov 6 14:45:56 EST 2023

On 11/6/23 09:57, Gary Granger wrote:
> We have custom tools that call Configure themselves, which I've assumed
> is a reasonable thing to do.  (Please let me know if not. :)

It works, as long as you keep some things in mind: it's optional what to
do with the caching of configure checks. If you run with --config=force,
any cached checks are ignored, and as a side effect, the configure
context works off a *copy* of the passed env; otherwise it can modify it
in place.  This is why we often see stanzas like:

conf = env.Configure()
env = conf.Finish()

so that we always end up using the modified environment, no matter how
that instance of SCons was launched.  Of course if your checks don't
modify the environment in the configure context (conf.env), it makes no
difference.