[Scons-users] compile scons submodule

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Feb 16 13:41:20 EST 2023

On 2/16/23 03:54, Jan Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really that familiar with scons (yet) but I inherited a large
> project which uses scons.
>
> It uses a SConstruct file in it's root directory, which seems already
> pretty complicated,
> and a custom.py file which allows to set some environment variables to
> find other
> libraries and/or executable files.
>
> Anyway, I would like to use git submodule to create a clone of an
> existing project,
> which also uses scons and a related SConstruct file to compile a
> library, which is used
> in the main project. So far we compiled the library for each platform
> separately and the
> main SConstruct file simply knows how to link the external library
> into other libraries.

Not providing any help in this post, just some comments:

Nearly all of us have to live with the challenge of "external
components', i.e. ones that are not technically part of the project
itself.  Comes up often in SCons channels.  The "easiest" answer, I
guess, has been if the external bits are part of "the SDK" - Visual
Studio style, or a Linux distribution where the libraries and associated
development bits are packaged and installed, or one of the many efforts
people have made to bundle things together for their own setup to make
things a little easier for their developers.  Otherwise, we have to make
it work "by hand".  You have a better situation than most, so feel lucky
:-) - your external bit is written to use the same build system.  Often
it's project-scons, lib1-cmake, lib2-meson, ... etc