[Scons-users] compile scons submodule

Jan Walter jdb.walter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:54:56 EST 2023

Hi,

I'm not really that familiar with scons (yet) but I inherited a large
project which uses scons.

It uses a SConstruct file in it's root directory, which seems already
pretty complicated,
and a custom.py file which allows to set some environment variables to
find other
libraries and/or executable files.

Anyway, I would like to use git submodule to create a clone of an
existing project,
which also uses scons and a related SConstruct file to compile a
library, which is used
in the main project. So far we compiled the library for each platform
separately and the
main SConstruct file simply knows how to link the external library
into other libraries.

So it looks like this:

$ tree
.
├── custom.py
├── external
│   └── another_project
│       └── SConstruct
└── SConstruct

Right now I could copy the custom.py (or create a softlink to it),
change into the external/another_project/ folder and compile
the library there using scons. What's the easiest way to adjust
the main SConstruct file to do this for me, before some other
libraries of the main project get compiled, which have to link
in the library from the submodule.

Any help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jan