[Scons-users] How to use -isystem instead of -I to include directories of third-party projects in scons?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Nov 30 02:55:51 EST 2022

On November 30, 2022 12:10:20 AM MST, Lan Yang <lanyang at autox.ai> wrote:
>Hi scons users,
>
>1. My question is:
>how to use -isystem instead of -I to include directories of third-party
>projects in scons?
>
>2. Question's background:
>Recently, I found that by adding -Wall and -Wextra to CFLAGS can raise the
>compilation warning level.
>And this exposes some hidden bugs.
>
>But I do not wish to edit the warnings in the 3rd party code.
>So I found a gcc's solution in stack-overflow:
>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15053776/how-do-you-disable-the-unused-variable-warnings-coming-out-of-gcc-in-3rd-party-c
>
>The top solution recommends me keeping the warning on, but use -isystem
>instead of -I to include directories of third-party projects.
>Then I used the "scons --verbose" and found that the scons used "-I" by
>default.
>
>Best regards,
>Lan
>
>--
>

>*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments
>are intended solely for the addressee(s) and contain confidential and/or
>privileged information and are legally protected from disclosure unless
>otherwise indicated. If you received this message by mistake, please
>immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message
>and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message
>or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  *

Your approach is a valid one, but SCons does not, unfortunately support -isystem fully (issue #3064 exists to record this). You can add it directly to CCFLAGS and it should be emitted to gcc; and the MergeFlags method knows how to do this also, but - unlike for values in CPPPATH - SCons won't look in that directory for internal dependency calculation.