[Scons-users] Other standard GNU tools and alternate linker files

Duane Ellis duane at duaneellis.com
Sun May 22 15:11:00 EDT 2022

So – in the Embedded world

Question #1

Often one uses the “OBJCOPY” tool – or something else to post process the executable (ELF) into a BIN or a HEX file – how should that be handled.

NOTE: It seems this and many other similar things should be detected as part of Scons but is not
Examples include:  NM, LD, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, STRIP, etc.

How would you suggest handling their uses?

Question #2
                The Linux Kernel uses a reasonably nice GUI based CONFIG tool.
                Which outputs stuff that is usable both in (source, a generated DEFINE file)
                And something the “makefiles” and “makesystem” can do

                For example,  IF {some feature is enabled}. Then add SOURCEFILE or do not add the file

                Question 2a) How can I use something like that with SCONS? Any examples?
                Question 2a) Ok if not that tool – what other tool/method would be helpful?
                Question 2b) What I am looking for is a ./configure  “—enable-feature-XX” type setting.

                The general idea is the “config” specifies features to enable or disable in the system.
                For example:   “—enable-bignumber-support”, or “—enable-rtos-features”

                Yes, I can code this in Scons (its just a python script after all) but I’m looking for
                Something like the Kernel MENU_CONFIG, or the ./configure Boolean enable/disable type features.

                In general, I am trying to pull the “configuration” out and into a separate file that is editable.

                Please note I am not asking for the configure test like features present in Scons
I am after a means to turn on or off large sections of my code.

                For example, I may or may not want a feature enabled in the package I am creating.