[Scons-users] Single binary SCons and byte-code caching

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 23:58:11 EST 2022

On 3/10/22 19:31, Brad Kraemer wrote:

> > Hi Fellows,
> >
> > That makes sense. I don't currently have a need for an installer or
> > self-contained binary (just a nice warm-fuzzy feeling thought about it).
> > Judging from your response's though, it sounds like it would be a
> > non-trivial amount of experimenting to get it to work (with all the
> > potential corner-cases and whatnot). If I find myself in need of another
> > side-project though I might do some experimenting and get back to you
> > about any positive results.

My experience has been that SCons and any "freeze" programs (of which Mats
mentions several) are complementary.  We used SCons to build our runtime
artifacts, including Python, Cython, C/C++ extension modules and so on,
then as its next step, invoke PyInstaller (py2exe before it died, played
with cx-Freeze a bit) to package the application exe, dlls and resources in
a distributable form.  (And subsequent to that, SCons runs NSIS or
InnoSetup or MSI to package those resources into a single file installer.)
This was all for Windows customers, but one of the attractions of
PyInstaller was its cross platform support.

I always treated SCons as the supervisor, and PyInstaller as just another
fancy compiler or linker for it to supervise.