[Scons-users] First time scons user: Can't get a simple example working on windows machine

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Aug 24 16:19:11 EDT 2022

For the record (This was resolved on discord server)

On windows you'll need to run as
scons helloworld.exe

This is due to the actual target from

env.Program(target='helloworld', source=['helloworld.c']) # build targets

Being : helloworld.exe since on windows there's a Environment() variable
PROGRAMSUFFIX which is automatically appended to any target which doesn't
include it modifying the target file name.

If you wanted to always be able to have a command line argument
(target/alias) for scons regardless of the platform.
x=env.Program('helloworld','helloworld.c')
env.Alias("helloworld_app",x)

would work.