[Scons-users] Not able to make full use of CPUs for processing speed

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Sep 16 15:50:36 EDT 2021

On 9/16/21 10:08, Bill Deegan wrote:
> you can also use the --taskmastertrace=FILE scons option and look at the
> output file, that may give you hints why you're not getting the
> parallelism you suspect, though that's a deeper dive.

I guess a question to answer is if there's enough parallelism available
in your setup that a larger jobs pool helps.  If there rarely are
situations when more than five builds are ready to run at once,
increasing the jobs pool way beyond five is unlikely to help much.  Not
sure there's a really good way to get SCons to tell you that... a lot of
the information is in the taskmaster trace, sure, but my experience is
using it is kind of like trying to drink from a firehose most times.

There should probably be some kind of sampling profile setup to help
figure out if things aren't being kept busy just because there's not
unblocked work available, or if SCons is blowing too much time
calculating things... it's my impression (don't shoot me, Bill!) that
the performance characterizations that were made of SCons and its
taskmaster/jobs setup were done on computing technologies several
generations removed from today's and could stand a revisit.